agvipul

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Hello Everyone!

I've a problem with my old PC.

Whenever I bootup my PC, sometimes it doesn't detects the connected IDE (HDD and DVD-RAM) and low beeps which are barely audible are produced. The time interval in the beeps is random, sometimes it beeps 2 times in a second and sometimes in 5-10 seconds per beep. I know the beep codes but I didn't find any beep code which occurs for random intervals of time. When by luck, if the system starts working normally, while working on it for some hours or I can't give any specific times because it happens for random time, the system again starts giving that same beep sound with the random intervals and system hangs.

After several reboots, the PC boots and the Windows Operating System installed on the machine boots extremely slowly. It takes around 1-2 minutes for the splash screen. After the splash screen, I've a scheduled disk check as the last time the system hanged. When I let the disk check to start, its taking more 15 mins to complete even the HDD is empty as I formatted the HDD and reinstalled Windows few weeks ago. Now, when I cancel the disk check after splash screen, Windows starts working normally, all the application takes normal time to load but the mouse pointer doesn't works smooth, it goes from one end to other end after a small break.

I tried to diagnose the PC by removing its ram from the slot, cleaning the slot and ram and put it back in the same position. After this, my system does not give that beep sound for some bootups but this whole scenario start again and the system works too slow even there is no new application installed and the HDD is totally empty. I sure this is some hardware related issue, but I can't make sure where is the real problem. If its the RAM or the Motherboard or the HDD? Please help me out in this issue.

My system configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Intel 845GV Chipset (Gigabyte GA-81845GV)
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz (Code Name: Northwood, BID: 10)
RAM: Hynix DDR 256mb, 133 Mhz
HDD: Seagate 80 GB PATA (Model: ST380021A)
DVDRAM: Sony
CDRW: LG

Thanks for reading my query! ;o)