Sign in with
Your question

Hd charts confusing me

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2010 6:51:25 AM

I'm looking for whatever hard drive gives me the best all-around performance (maybe with a slight priority on app loading and performance and not so much priority on things like video) for under $200 and with at least 1TB storage.

The different benchmarks just seem to confuse me. Can anyone help me decipher them to find which hds seem to excel in my price range? For example, when I read the article that introduces the 500GB/platter drives like the Samsung F3, I get the idea that the F3 would be great bang for the buck. But then when I look at the benchmarks in the "Charts" section, I instead get the idea that they're slow as hell. The article seems to indicate they're fast. But the Charts seem to indicate they're slow. I'd love to get a 2TB Caviar Black and call it a day, but they're way above my price range.

More about : charts confusing

February 1, 2010 11:21:17 AM

Go for Samsung Spinpoint F3...
It rocks...
Quiet & Fastest HDD available out there and Good VFM.
m
l
February 2, 2010 12:54:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. For the sake of me learning how to interpret the benchmarks better, could you explain why it appears to be such a mediocre performer in many tests of things that seem important such as those represented in charts like this, this, or this?

Those seem to be tests of application startup, general access speed, and general workstation performance, which seem like pretty important things in overall performance, but drives in same general price and size category like caviar black and deskstar at least appear to outperform it.

I believe that the F3 is the best, I just want to learn how to be able to figure this stuff out on my own rather than bothering you guys with "which drive should I get"" questions.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 2, 2010 5:17:42 AM

Generally speaking, drives with faster access times will boot and load applications faster, while drives with faster transfer rates will copy or read/write very large files faster.

A lot of people (possibly the majority :ouch: ) think that if drive A has a faster transfer rate than drive B then it's the hands-down winner. But it ain't necessarily so.
m
l
!