Sign in with
Your question

USB CDRom Emulation - Any market interest?

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2010 10:47:50 AM

I'm just wrapping up my beta testing of a USB CD Rom emualtor I created for our computer shop. It hooks to the pc through usb, has an 8bit AVR chip in the middle and a HDD on the backend.

It has 2 modes of operation:
1 - CD emulation mode: emulate iso's as cd/dvd's (blueray comming soon)
2 - MassStorage Mode: acts like a normal external HDD for copying iso to it.

Just copy an iso to it, switch back into CD emulation mode and select the iso from the list.

Needed something like this for years, 100's of cd's in shop getting lost / borken / scratched - waisted counless hours per year searching for cds. No More - All CD's in one simple list on 1 external USB CD Emulator!

Check out the progress and leave a message...
http://cdemu.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Curtis Reno
a b G Storage
February 1, 2010 11:59:46 AM

Well, why not just host all of the images in a "host" computer and have all the computers source their images from there? Unless you have like 50+ computers accessing at the same time, I doubt thrashing would be an issue. At this point, we can use "normal" emulators like Daemon Tools.

Just my honest, unbiased opinion.
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:42:05 AM

gracefully said:
Well, why not just host all of the images in a "host" computer and have all the computers source their images from there? Unless you have like 50+ computers accessing at the same time, I doubt thrashing would be an issue. At this point, we can use "normal" emulators like Daemon Tools.

Just my honest, unbiased opinion.

My design goal was to be portable for the Tech Repair industry. I need access to 100+ cd's on the road, and want something I could plug into a usb port and start booting on or easly switch between utility cd's. It's a killer on the road keeping track of all the cd's.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 9, 2010 6:41:19 PM

Hi there, we are a small it technican company and all of my pals are searching since ever for a portable and BIG solution to carry 100th of cds bootable with us. Your approach is marvelous, keep up the good work, i already get the thought of buying a teensy++ too, just because of your approach :) 

Best regards,
JRSmile
m
l
!