SwitchbackJack

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Hi everyone,

New to the forums because I'm trying to learn a little more about hardware and such. Just had a new rig built and had a few questions regarding Intel's Q9400 quad-core processor.

First, my specs:
Asus p5n-d (750i chipset)
PNY GeForce 8800GT
Transcend 4GB DDR2-800
Raidmax Smilodon Xtreme Black (2x80mm side fans, 2x120mm fans (front & back)
Have the Intel stock heatsink + fan.

Here's the question: I've heard from many that the Q9400 can idle around 30 degrees celsius. I used the latest build of Everest Ultimate, and each core was running right around 29 or 30 degrees. However, the CPU as a whole was idling at around 44 degrees Celsius.

Don't want to sound whiney or like I'm freaking out, but does that sound a bit high to anyone? It's probably safe, but I just want to be sure. At full load, I'll hit as much as 57 degrees celsius.

If that sounds high, can anyone suggest some ways I can cool things down? Reposition the system, maybe?

Thanks. :)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
juno get a q6600 less money!

44 is normal at 100% and stock settings with a good to better then average cooler

can idle? at stock? crank it up 3.4ghz man! it idle at 35-40 depending on the system etc

i have 2 systems burning in know with prime95 4 cores at 55c at 3.6ghz

if you hit 80c once in while your computer might last only until 2015 insteed of 2020!!!! o no!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
zorg, temperature is relative, a cpu can idle at -10C if you lived in a cold enough area. anything is possible

those are pretty decent temps for idle and load on a stock heatsink, my e4500 with artic freezer gets those temps.

wanna cool it down? get a new heatsink, perhaps a xigmatek. it probably won't bring the idles down too much, but the loads should drop for sure

SwitchbackJack

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Okay, great. Thanks for the help.

Like I said, wasn't freaking out, but just wanted to make sure things were as I should expect them. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about cooling CPUs.

:)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
One of us misunderstood his post. After his response I don't know if it was you or me.
Everest Ultimate, and each core was running right around 29 or 30 degrees. However, the CPU as a whole was idling at around 44 degrees Celsius.
What I understand from the quote is that his idle Tjunction was 29 or 30C for each core and that his idle Tcase for the processor was 44. As I said earlier, that is impossible. Either the program/mobo/CPU is giving him erroneous temps or he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

No matter what the reason, he would do well to read the sticky, it explains it all in great detail.

Thanks for cluing me though. ;)