nerdbowlguy09

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
i built my computer like 1 1/2 years ago and have had all sorts of problems but this time its been out for 2 months. heres the story: the power goes out, my comp is plugged into a surge protector, but it wont post when i come home. i took it to a friends house and tested all my components but couldnt find the problem. took it to a proffessional who told me it was the hard drive so i got a new hard drive. the SAME THING happened a couple days later, it wouldnt post so i tried it out with a working power supply but it still wouldnt post, no beeping, nothing. I got a new mobo the other day and still nothing, no beeping and it wont turn off without turing the psu off from the back. is my cpu bad? is it the psu? help.

(NEW) GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H AM2 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Mobo
(OLD) ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 nForce 590 ATX Mobo
(Possibly fried) AMD Athlon 2X 5600
XFX GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit DDR3 675MHz
Creative Soundblaster
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
my friends computer has the same problem and i would also like an answer to this as well - though my friend wont let me tinker with his box. what i would recommend to you is checking the CPU. sounds like its fried or maybe the heatsink is not connecting. best of luck.

- just noticed u listed ur AMD athlon is possibly fried. lol...

nerdbowlguy09

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
well i helped my friend build his computer and his has had no problems so i guess i got it right on the second try. ive used his power supply with no luck, ive tried out all my hardware excluding my cpu, mobo and psu with his computer. i have liquid cooling and my processor stays at like 40C so it couldnt have overheated and i dont leave my computer on for more than a day. what i need to know is how to test out a processor because i think i bought a new mobo for no reason and i dont want to get a new cpu with the same result. i am so frustrated

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
well if the cpu IS fried then there is no way to test it other than switching it to another mobo with the same socket and seeing what happened. you say you liquid cooled and the cpu temp never went up above 40 degrees. can you confirm this days before the problem happened? is the pump on your water cooler still working? any leaks from the hoses by any chance? but like i said, if its not posting theres nothing you can really do except put it in another compatible motherboard and see if it can post there.

IF it does post on that mobo then im just as confused as you are... although i suppose that does leave the heat sink connection. just make sure you are getting FULL connection between the heat sink and the mobo because cpus can auto shot off at a certain temperature. now as far as posting im not sure if it would reach that temperature before or after. best of luck.