Is this a PSU problem?

darkking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
My computer recently stopped turning on successfully. I push the power button and the fans turn on for about half a second then everything shuts off. I turn of the power supply, turn it back on, and same thing happens. About 1% of the time the computer turns on for longer than that (usually about 1 minute) then shuts off again. Everything works fine for that one minute, windows loads, screen is working great, etc. I recently RMA'd my motherboard so it is not that (RMA'd after this problem started). Also, I don't think it is the RAM because I have tried with working sticks of RAM and the same thing happens.

System

DFI DK-TR2B mobo
2X2GB GSkill DDR2-800
2X ASUS ATI 4850 in crossfire
DVD-RW drive
320GB hard drive
Intel Q9550 - stock speed
620W aerocool Zerodba

If this is a PSU problem, I am getting a new one very soon so it is not a big deal. But if it is not please let me know what it is.

Thank you.

It is probably (hopefully) a PSU problem, if not then it could be a faulty (stuck) fan or other component that is drawing to much power. Disconnecting everything and then reconnecting each component one by one is the only way to find out.

darkking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I tried with everything that is not essential unpluged (case fans off, dvd drive off). Same thing happens. It may be a stuck HDD, so I will check that if my new PSU does not work.

Thanks for the reply.

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Might be some metalic contact touching your board. I had that problem with the standoff screws - it created a short. Take your board out from the case and test it again.

darkking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008

Tried, no luck.

Thanks for the suggestion though, didn't think of that.