Speedbump4

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hey there issue with my newly purchased e8500. Just got it today and already having a problem with it. First problem is that my computer says "Unknown CPU Update bios to unleash the full power" every time I load up. Guessing that's a bios issue and needed to update, although the current bios version is 0806 which I was pretty sure was compatible with the e8500. 2nd issue which is bothering me more than anything is the fact that my temperatures aren't being read?. I opened up both Coretemp and Realtemp and the temperatures do not move even when under stress. Seriously what's going on with the ****. I just got it today.
Thanks for any help that might be offered.

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
First of all, what brand and model of Mobo you use. That would be very helpful. Second of all, flash your Bios with the last version, than post if the problem is not solved.

I really think that it is logic that Coretemp and Realtemp can't read your CPU's Temps if the CPU itself is not recognized by your system.

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
You have already answered your own question - you need to update your BIOS so that it will correctly ID your CPU. Your CPU temp's are not being read due to the BIOS not know what type of processor is installed.

PS: You really should have done this whole process in reverse. Check which CPUs your motherboard support in its BIOS before you purchase a CPU and you'll save yourself this sort of problem. I hope your motherboard supports your new CPU through a newer version of its BIOS or you may be having to replace it... good luck.