Why does the Automatic Updates service change the start type on the Ba

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hello,

Why does the Automatic Updates service change the start type on the Background Intelligent Transfer service from Manual to Automatic?

Is this a new feature or a bug? It does it on some of my computers, but not others. I can see the start type change as soon as Microsoft Security Essentials starts its update. I don't want BITS running every time I start my computer. So I have to manually go and change BITS back to manual start.
:(

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

So true... But the updates I am getting are updates to the virus data base that Microsoft Security Essentials uses. So I like to keep pretty up to date with those.

MSE requires BITS to get it's updates.

From Wiki:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a component of modern Microsoft Windows operating systems that facilitates prioritized, throttled, and asynchronous transfer of files between machines using idle network bandwidth. It is most commonly used by recent versions of Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and Systems Management Server to deliver software updates to clients, Microsoft's anti-virus scanner Microsoft Security Essentials to fetch signature updates, and is also used by Microsoft's instant messaging products to transfer files

That is true, but it doesn't mean that the BITS service has to be running all the time. "Manual" start is perfectly acceptable and means that programs will start it when they need it.

As a matter of interest, on my Windows 7 installation BITS is set to "Manual" start and updates have never changed it. Must be an XP bug.

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

Yes, I agree... I can even watch "Automatic Updates" change BITS from "Manual" to "Automatic" start. As soon as I tell Microsoft Security Essentials to update its security files, Automatic Updates starts up, then BITS gets changed from Manual start to Automatic start and starts up. On my other computer, both start up, but it does not change the start option.

Starting when needed is fine. But I don't want to have BITS running even when it is not needed. So I want to have the start option to stay at Manual.

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

Sorry, I do not want to leave it at Automatic. I only have 384 MB of memory on this computer and every bit is precious. The computer is at its max supported memory, so adding is not a option. I don't mind BITS using memory when it is being used. But I do not want to have it running and using memory when it is not needed. I set the start option to Manual, but something keeps changing it to Automatic.

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

Thanks, that's a good work around... I think I tried something like that before and it would not run. If I remember correctly, it said I had to be an administrator to run those commands. As a security measure, I only run as an administrator when I want to install something. 99% of the time, I run as a Limited user. I feel it gives me a little extra measure of security. But I might have to do something like that as a work around. I guess I was hoping it was a bug and I could fix it another way. I have XP prof SP3.

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

I gave it a quick try... Yep, you have to be an administrator.
It would be nice if I could just find a way to get it to stop
changing it in the first place. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\>sc config BITS start= demand
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

Thanks ... That will make it easier...

shaan4me

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I had a similar type of situation today and finally got the solution which may help you. There was a group policy applied to make the service startup to be always automatic

totos1234

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Please, can You explain detailed things you do to resolve this? I have entered in "Group Policy" Editor and it is too big to find what to do.