How Quiet will this custom computer be?

cyberman86

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
:bounce: I'm planning to build a computer with the following specs:

System Configuration :
Intel CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, 1333FSB (Quad Core) 12000K

Intel CPU Fans : Cooler Master HyperTX Intel EXTRA QUIET Vertical HeatPipe Copper fan

Intel Motherboards : ASUS P5QC P45, 1600FSB, DDR3 & DDR2, PCI Express, Sound, 1Gb LAN, iEEE

DDR2 memory : 3GB (3x1GB) PC6400 DDR2 800 Dual Channel

Hard Drives : 320.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache

DVD Recorders : Samsung 20x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW (black)

Sound Cards : AC 97 3D Full Duplex sound card (onboard)

Network Cards : Ethernet network adapter (onboard)

Cases : Nikao Black Neon ATX Case w/ Temperature control, front USB & iEEE

Power Supply : Okia 500W ATX Power Supply

Video card: ATI X1950 pro 512mb GDDR3 turbo edition

Total: $850

How Quiet is it going to be? and How good is for casual gaming? I'm going to change video card later I know its decent and I've seen people playing Crysis and COD4 at High settings with this video card. But What i want to know is how loud is it going to be because i don"t like loud computers.

deathsdefiance

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
This case looks like it will be rather quiet with how things are set up. I have never heard of the "Okia 500W ATX Power Supply"

Do you really need a quad core CPU for all of what you are using? The CPU is going to run circles around the rest of your hardware, although it will make you future proof. But you could save 120$ by getting the E8500 instead, since the rest of the system's hardware isn't exactly up to par.

G

It all depends on if you have any more cash to spend?

If I were you and I didnt have any more cash (and im a novice) then id drop the quad and get a duo to make some savings (As DD said in other words, your system doesnt look Quad ready) and then the first thing I would upgrade is the psu as the one you have chosen looks to be the one that came free with the case - This psu can be bought for $25 !!!

Spend any money you save on the cpu on a new psu - I know this and have learnt from mistakes, spend at least $100 on good branded psu and it may save you a lot in the future.

If you can save any more then scrap the X1950 and upgrade to something a little more modern and at least the next six months future proof if this is a new build - Again learn from my mistakes, I bought a 9600gt and then a 8800gts and I still wasnt happy - I then bought a Radeon 4850 and things are much better. Honestly if you like me and something just isnt right then you will never be happy with a X1950!

Just imagine spending $50 on a game and then realising your card wont play it on the best detail or spec - You'll then wish you spend on the graphics card.

For some good insight to quiet computing, go to www.silentpcreview.com.
I don't think your case will be as quiet as it could be.
80mm fans, which the case has, need to turn faster to provide adequate cooling, and will therefore be noisy.
A case with windows will also not be as quiet as a case with insulated side panels.
May I suggest the Antec Solo? $59.99 with free shipping. Watch the shipping costs, cases are heavy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129018

The psu needs to be quality, so that it's fans do not need to spin up under load. Look for Corsair, Seasonic, and PS P&C units.

It is not clear to me what cooler you have in mind. For quiet, get a tower type cpu cooler with a slow turning rear facing 120mm fan.

As to the rest of your build, I see no sense in a 3x1gb ram configuration. You will not get dual channel from that, and a 2x2gb kit will cost about the same.

For a new build, why invest in a soon to be unsupported OS? Vista home premium in either 32 or 64 bit should work fine.

For most games, a duo like the E8500 will perform better.