Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking AMD 955 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
November 20, 2009 6:30:42 PM

Hey guys,

As the title states, I would like to break the 4ghz barrier on my 955 BE with air cooling. My current heatsink is a ZeroTherm BTF92 Copper HS. Not the best out there. So I recently "upgraded" to a ThermalRight TRUE Black HS w/ dual 120mm Scythe Ultra Kaze fans (rated around ~120 CFMs). I have not installed it yet.

From my own and others experiences... it seems that 3.8ghz is where everyone hits the wall. Adjusting voltages does nothing. Is this due to a cooling limitation? Will this new HS do the trick? Or is this just the threshold for this CPU? Has anyone hit 4ghz+ with a 955 BE on air? If so, please tell us your secrets :D . Thanks!

EDIT: I have seen AMDs OC'ing 101 Guide for the 955 BE. They got it to 4ghz on air... or so they say :p . Not sure how they pulled that off... or if they just had a "good" chip.

-Brett

More about : overclocking amd 955

November 20, 2009 7:40:10 PM

I've hit 7.4 GHz on air, but it was probably the chip.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:48:13 PM

El_Capitan said:
I've hit 7.4 GHz on air, but it was probably the chip.

Cool story, bro.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2009 7:56:38 PM

Anytime. Knowing what motherboard you have might help.
m
l
November 20, 2009 8:11:32 PM

No problem :) 

Antec 1200 Case
ASUS M47A9T-Deluxe mobo
AMD Phenom II 955 BE CPU @ 3.6ghz OC.
ZeroTherm BTF92 Copper Heatsink w/ Artic Silver 5
Corsair XMS 8GB RAM @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 timings
ASUS TOP 4890 1gb video card @ 900mhz core/1000mhz RAM Factory OC
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb 16mb cache
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640gb 32mb cache (slave drive)
Corsair 650w Single Rail PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit RTM OS
m
l
November 20, 2009 9:01:33 PM

Try setting your multiplier to 19 and see how much you can increase your BCLK. Raise your QPI/DRAM voltages and set it to twice your DRAM Frequency.

Try the opposite and set your multiplier to 21 and lower your BCLK to 190.
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:50:33 PM

He has a AMD 955 not an I7, and to the guy who said he hit 7.4 ghz on air "pics or it didn't happen" I call BS big time. Only people who have hit over 5ghz and up were using phase cooling, dry ice, or liquid nitrogen.
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:54:51 PM

brett1042002 said:
Cool story, bro.

Perhaps you mean, 4.7 and that is if you have an air conditioner pointed to the inside of your case..

7.4 on air.. ha, i say...
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:55:03 PM

brett1042002 said:
Cool story, bro.

Perhaps you mean, 4.7 and that is if you have an air conditioner pointed to the inside of your case..

7.4 on air.. ha, i say...
m
l
November 21, 2009 2:11:09 PM

I can get 3.7ghz on my 955 BE, but that's about it if I want to keep things stable. I've made it higher, but it would crash out at 3.8ghz within a few minutes. That's using a TRUE with two fans, by the way. Temps would top about 55c, so it wasn't a temp problem.
m
l
November 21, 2009 2:53:19 PM

Sorry, I meant changing your CPU Frequency and lowering/raising your multiplier. Same difference. Sorry, I didn't mean 7.4 GHz, I meant 17.4 GHz.
m
l
November 21, 2009 3:22:43 PM

El_Capitan said:
Sorry, I meant changing your CPU Frequency and lowering/raising your multiplier. Same difference. Sorry, I didn't mean 7.4 GHz, I meant 17.4 GHz.

Umm, I was directed here by another site, and these posts by you made me want to comment, and to post something that you agreed to by being a part of this site:

"Your Conduct on Our Sites

You agree not to post or transmit material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy; that otherwise violates any law; or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense."

Notice that part that says you won't post something knowingly false. Ignorance excludes you from being prohibited from saying "I got my AMD chip to 17.4GHz", but logic doesn't survive this.

In your sig it says your chip is at 3.7GHz, which is reasonable, and makes sense. I myself run my chip at 3.8GHz and have gotten it to 4.2GHz. Both reasonable, and fair. To say you got your AMD chip to 17.4GHz is either ignorance, or a flat out lie.
m
l
November 21, 2009 3:45:44 PM

greenlines said:
Umm, I was directed here by another site, and these posts by you made me want to comment, and to post something that you agreed to by being a part of this site:

You agree not to post or transmit material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy; that otherwise violates any law; or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense."

Notice that part that says you won't post something knowingly false. Ignorance excludes you from being prohibited from saying "I got my AMD chip to 17.4GHz", but logic doesn't survive this.

In your sig it says your chip is at 3.7GHz, which is reasonable, and makes sense. I myself run my chip at 3.8GHz and have gotten it to 4.2GHz. Both reasonable, and fair. To say you got your AMD chip to 17.4GHz is either ignorance, or a flat out lie.

Wonderful post, i myself could not have said it better.
m
l
November 21, 2009 3:45:48 PM

greenlines said:

Considering that El Capitan was previously mentioning BCLK and QPI values, besides the greatly exaggerated overclock, ignorance cannot be plead. Such hash is best ignored.
m
l
November 21, 2009 3:52:01 PM

sailer said:
Considering that El Capitan was previously mentioning BCLK and QPI values, besides the greatly exaggerated overclock, ignorance cannot be plead. Such hash is best ignored.

Thanks Mr. K. I noticed the BCLK, as it made me think of my i7, but I missed the QPI part. As that is an Intel only technology (as far as I know), it's kind of hard to place that with AMD overclocking.

I'm going to guess this El_Capitan is some dude from a site that starts with X and ends with S.
m
l
November 21, 2009 4:01:23 PM

Sorry, I meant 1.74 GHz, not 17.4 GHz.
m
l
November 21, 2009 4:06:52 PM

El_Capitan said:
Sorry, I meant 1.74 GHz, not 17.4 GHz.

Oh... uhh, my bad.
m
l
November 23, 2009 1:21:28 PM

Installed the TRUE over the weekend. My idle temps are a cool 28c. I haven't stressed it under Prime95. But under load while gaming its only hitting ~37c. The Scythe Ultra Kaze fans, on the TRUE, are extremely loud and move a LOT of air. Seriously, my room sounds like a data center now, lol.

I'm still at 3.81ghz. 19x multiplier, 200mhz FSB, stock voltages. I tried lower mulitpiers with higher frequencies, and different voltages on the CPU ranging from 1.35 (stock) to 1.45. I couldn't even get passed POST. I did not try adjusting the NB/CPU voltage. That may be the issue. I left the DRAM timings alone at 9-9-9-24 1600mhz (stock).

At this point, I would say my temps are fine, but just need to play around with the settings more.

m
l
December 4, 2009 1:29:56 PM

The extent of how gullible some people are astounds me. Are you guys really that retarded?? If you actually looked into OCing, you'd know the current world record is 7.0ghz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Hf6d404QY&f=22

I don't know why you all took him so serious, as he was only trolling you guys. Please pull your heads out of your asses and educate yourselves.

Oh btw I just overclocked my calculator to 32.33ghz......

-_-
m
l
!