Phenom II x4's

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
At the moment I have a Phenom II x4 920, bios overclocked for me to 3.33ghz, (V8 overclock setting, it crashes when I put it on V12) I was wondering if I can get this thing to 4ghz if I buy an aftermarket cooling fan/water (please if so, make some suggestions) Or I was thinking of buying either a 955, or 965 to overclock to get to 4ghz..

Thanks, Xion

I've gotten my x4 940 to 3.8 Ghz easily, with a tru and with a Coolit Domino, I'm pretty sure you could do about the same. Beyond 3.8 though, I'm not sure there are too many setups that will allow that. Are you talking about a one shot here?

Many ph2 users hit a wall at 3.8Ghz. I would expect for your 920 that 3.8 will be the best you can do right now, but I encourage to prove me wrong! Maybe you have a particularly overclockable part.

I'm using the same motherboard, I don't think thats a factor although there are better overclocking boards out there. I'm not sure why you've chosen 4.0 as a magic number, maybe its more impressive than 3.8 but it won't do much for gaming. Or stability.

If you want bragging rights I recommend getting one of the new 965 models and upgrading to an FX mobo. Get the baddest air cooler you can find, they still outperform water coolers for the most part. Get more info at frostytech.com.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I just posted something similiar to this in regards to a 955 BE. I have the same issue. I hit a wall at 3.8ghz on air cooling, and so have many others. I have had no luck getting to 4ghz. I am not sure if this is a cooling limitation or just the CPU threshold. Hopefully, this will help with your decision in getting a 955/965.

EDIT: However, I did just upgrade to a better Heatsink. The one I currently have is about on par with a stock heatsink. I am installing the new one tonight and will try 4ghz again :).

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

No, thats just what I have it set on at the moment.