Sign in with
Your question

Copy disk and resize partition

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2010 1:36:02 AM

hi experts,

I've just purchased a new SATA drive, WD640G and I want to replace my old 80GB ST drive. I know I can copy the drive by many copy software, but there is a question that I want to resize the 3 partitions on the 80G drive, as there is no enough space in each partition. So if I can copy and resize the partitions on the new drive, that is great, is there such software?
February 2, 2010 7:25:54 AM

Best answer selected by hero back.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 2, 2010 12:09:44 PM

Never used any of those listed above, but I have used Acronis True Image several times. It is easy to use, and is very good as well.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
February 3, 2010 6:58:29 PM

Billy_2010 is only partly right. I do believe it cannot re-size your existing partitions. But OP had a little different need - he / she wants to CLONE an old 80 GB drive with 3 Partitions to a new WD 640 GB unit AND change the sizes of the three Partitions.

Acronis True Image can do this. Moreover, since OP bought from WD, he / she should go to their website, download their FREE utility called Acronis True Image WD Edition, and install it on the existing 80 GB unit. One of its may toolsets is making a clone of your old drive to your new larger one so that the new one can take over as your boot drive. As you set it up to make the clone of a multi-Partitioned older unit, you have three choices for sizing the new Partitions. One is to make each of them the SAME as the old ones, so you have a whole bunch of Unallocated Space left on the new large drive in which to establish additional Partitions. The second is to make all the new Partitions in PROPORTION to the way they were on the old drive. So, for example, if the C: Partition on the old 80 GB drive had been 50% of it, the new Partition on the new drive will be made at 50% of that, or about 320 GB. And so on for the other two. This is a re-sizing option. The third choice is to allow you to manually specify the sizes of each new Partition as you wish, as long as the new ones are made at least big enough for the incoming contents, and their total fits in the 640 GB size. You can even, in this last case, leave some Unallocated Space in which to come back later and establish a fourth (or more?) Partition.

There is a related issue in some cases of replacing a small older drive with a new whopper. Any drive over 137 GB (by maker's numbers) or 128 GB (M$ way of digital counting) MUST have a feature called "48-bit LBA Support" in three places - disk unit hardware, disk controller hardware, and Operating System. Obviously any HDD made that size has the requisite support in it; virtually all systems built after about 2000 AND ALL SATA systems have the hardware support. Windows XP did NOT have this in its first version, but it was added in Service Pack 1 and maintained in all Windows after that. So this CAN be an issue for anyone with a small drive (that never had the issue) on an older machine that is using original Win XP or earlier. IF that is your situation and you have XP original, update it to SP3 BEFORE trying to do your cloning. And THEN download and install that software to your C: drive so it knows that capability is in there. If you are using Win 2K I think it was added in SP4, but check that! If you have any XP Service Packs installed, or are using Vista or 7, you have no problem.
m
l
October 15, 2012 8:29:55 AM

Partition magic could not handle the latest windows versions, so it is out of data, to copy and resize partition you could use alternative software AOMEI Partition Assistant
m
l
!