simple question for e8400 owners

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
can you guage for me how fast your processor is by, for example, stating how fast it loads up a particular program or operating system. also post your specs.

thanks

It is safe to say that particular CPU is one of the fastest available, as far as a CPU goes for raw speed.
Your question can have extremely wide ranging answers depending on a large number of variables.
Exactly how fast it loads a program or boots depends on the OS you are running, hard drive speed, memory speed, amount of memory, and other components.
Once the PC has booted and running, how fast programs load depends on how you have your system setup. What and how many programs/services you have running in the background. Even a very "fast" build can be completely bogged down by bloatware, adware, and other tasks running behind the scenes.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

i didnt recommend super pi lol

one thing though, he has an E8400 so i naturally assumed he has a decent mobo with atleast ddr2 game. now all this taken into consideration i should revise my statement a little bit:

it depends on your HDD and RAM how fast you load these things. now yes a faster cpu would mean much potential speed but if you are bottlenecked cuz you are using a 5000 RPM hdd then it does not matter how much you over clock it IF you are solely looking at LOAD TIMES. now if i were to play a heavily cpu intensive game such as.. i dont know lets say supreme commander then your CPU overclock would make a difference but you specifically said LOADING times which has really minimal impact on cpu at your level. i only have a stupid WD 7200 RPM hdd until my raptors arrive and im pretty sure if i plug a pentium 4 with my HDD i wouldent notice a significant boot increase.

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
so then how fast should a system with these specs load things up (not games)? can you estimate for me?
e8400@3ghz
ddr2 2gb 800mhz
7200.11 32mb 500gb (5% full)
780i

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

lol... yea ill give it a shot -

anywhere from 15 to 1 minutes for every application. im sorry bro but your question is SO damn vague its impossible to give you a decisive answer. lets take for example a windows boot up time. now sure it might 'boot up' to windows home screen in oh... 20 seconds but then you are still waiting for all of your applications to boot up which could take another 15 seconds then another 5 seconds for everything to refresh and allow you to open an app like firefox and so on and so on...

to answer your question again - anywhere from 15 to 1 minute for every application... there are just too many variables.

i can tell you this however, i have roughly the same specs you have except slightly better processor and ram. i never timed it, but my windows fully boots in about 25 seconds (thats after my initial application boot aswell)

sorry if im sounding like a jerk but honestly it sounds like you are going for a super fast boot up on every application as I did when I was still a noobie. if you are truly aiming for that then HARDDRIVES and RAM is there way to go brother. i disagree with the posts above with processor speed but I could be wrong. in my opinion if you want things to boot + load fast = hdd + ram.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

habitat is dead on here lol. e8400 can go to 3.6 without effort. simple fsb increase and dont even have to touch voltages. you wont hurt it and get a free 600Mhz with almost forgotten effort. i have had mine over 4Ghz but didnt keep it there. i settled for 3.82 for 24/7 usage.

joel17

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

LOL wow habitat87..... lol no comment other then.. get your info from the right places : )