geforce 8800gt, computer crashed in game now card is not working..

iamcims

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
I installed the card and It crashed a couple times, mainly in high graphic parts.I think due to my psu being only 400 or 450w. Today my 750w came in. Saddly, last night it crashed in a game and when I rebooted I was stuck with a basic VGA controller, I tried uninstalling the drivers/software along with the nforce chipset drivers on my motherboard. I'm starting to think im going to have to RMA this card. I cannot figure it out. When I reinstalled the drivers the same ! icon is there on the driver name, under Device manager.

Errors:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Resources:
This driver is not using any resources because it has a problem.

Anyone heard of this happening? I did a search but couldn't find to many answers.

sgtbaker420

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
It would sound to me that your first thoughts are valid...that puppy's fried!

I would RMA the card as the poor performing PSU may have killed it. I had the same thing happen to me before when I ordered a new video card and psu and the card arrived first in the mail. I just HAD to try it, knowing full well that it was a bad idea. It was.

iamcims

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
SgtBaker420,

Haha, yeah I just had to try it out, I pulled out everything I could to cut back on power. Anyway good news. I installed my new 750w Corsair tx psu, wow this thing is NICE, quality right here.. The card now loads, drivers load, fine, desktop no longer hangs, boots up just like it did before my error. So far good. Now let me test it in some games :). I was so happy to see that it was working after i put in my psu.