35 nm processors?

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i just read something on newegg posted by a senior buyer saying 35nm processors are going to be out in <6 months. true false? if this were true i think it would nearly seal the deal with the slaying of AMD.

G

I doubt it would slay them... if AMD falls... enthusiast market is going to SUCK big time as intel can raise prices all they want

Yeah as Nik_I said... its 32nm not 35nm

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
there is tick tock thing with intel at least, this year is a new structure and NEXT year we will see a new manufacturing process. and it will be 32 not 35nm.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
well, AMD is finnaly getting back on its feet. their PhenomII CPUs comming out are going to be pretty sweet. so no, they have not been slayed buddy. and if you knew better, you wouldnt be 'hoping' they do...
the CPU market is going to raise faster than gas prices if AMD is out...

silent_744

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

How about wait until we get some real benchmarks instead of AMD created slides. Just because AMD says their processors will be good doesn't magically give them a couple billion dollars and now they're no longer in debt.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
as said before 32nm, and even if its slated for next year, i doubt it will be released until middle 2010, so nehalem will be best suited until than

hell, any lga775 quad can do pretty much anything a nehalem can.... as of now anyway

motleydogg

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
32nm is slated for the end of 2009, should be released q4 09, with the Westmere version. AMD will get there by early 2011.

Intel has always been about 1 year ahead in die shrinks over AMD, so this is nothing new, and will not kill AMD. AMD has made the necessary moves to keep their head above water (like taking over ATI). They just need to keep refocusing their strategy (this is like two boxers in a ring and we still have many rounds to go)

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I seriously doubt that AMD will ever go kaput since they are pretty much intel's only competitor. I dont think the gov't would let AMD go under because intel would then have a monopoly, and the government does not like those.

motleydogg

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Not exactly, there are chips made by other American companies, and lately chips are being made in other nations

Now these are not currently competing in the desktop arena with Intel, but if AMD were to disappear, I am sure someone would see an opportunity and step in.

Also, the US antitrust law wouldn't apply if AMD went under, there would still be competition in the server market,... and as long as Intel didn't price gouge the desktop market (which if they did, I could see a company with resources and ties to current technology stepping in and filling the void)

Competition law, known in the United States as antitrust law, has three main elements:

prohibiting agreements or practices that restrict free trading and competition between business entities. This includes in particular the repression of cartels.

banning abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position. Practices controlled in this way may include predatory pricing, tying, price gouging, refusal to deal, and many others.

supervising the mergers and acquisitions of large corporations, including some joint ventures. Transactions that are considered to threaten the competitive process can be prohibited altogether, or approved subject to "remedies" such as an obligation to divest part of the merged business or to offer licences or access to facilities to enable other businesses to continue competing.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitrust

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

first off when did i say i was hoping for AMD to go under? second do you have ANY facts to back up your Phenom statements besides theoretical benchmarks? you fanboy! :non:

rammar16

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
i am going to have to say no to 35nm in 6 months. first because it would be 32nm as that is what both AMD and Intel have stated in their road maps...

as for 32nm in 6 months at this point i am doubting it based on a few things. first a 32nm CPU would probably come from intel which just lunched its 45nm Core I7 which for right now has no challenge from AMD(although Deneb will likely change that) it would logical to wait atleast 6 months before they came out with a die shrink.

As for the AMD vs. Intel fanboy stuff. from an economic stand point. if you have no competition then you have a monopoly. if Intel has a monopoly they control prices. while i doubt they would simply raise current CPU prices i would say that in the future they wouldn't have any aggressive price drops. as for if they would be slayed that is something that only AMD employees could tell you. there future will ride on the success of Deneb. if that is a success i would say we will be seeing them for a few more years. if not maybe only a year i don't know. what i do know is that phenom 2 as it is being call has been getting some good press. and some web sites have posted articles saying that it has vastly improved OCing. if this may or may not be an indication it only matters how much you trust the site.

for now i would say we will probably see 32nm CPUs in around 8 to 9ish months or more unless things change quick. and only time will tell if AMD will survive. although in my personal opinion i hope it does if for nothing else to keep intel on their feet.

It can't push out 35%+ better gaming performance with a multi GPU setup. But thats for those crazy people who have dual GPU cards or SLI/CF. Then again its becoming so commong that soon it will be the norm. Thats where nehalem will shine. Or so it seems so far.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Now these are not currently competing in the desktop arena with Intel, but if AMD were to disappear, I am sure someone would see an opportunity and step in.

Agree, I don't think Intel would have the monopoly for too long because there would be game for a group of large investors to gather and make something that could rival Intel... if AMD ever falls that is :pt1cable: http://seoagora.com/img/589/d08l1104oulu/smiley2.gifhttp://seoagora.com/img/308/s08e1024rvou/champagne.gifhttp://seoagora.com/img/317/s08b1024uzjw/content.gifhttp://seoagora.com/img/459/k08q1024glza/ecstatic.gifhttp://seoagora.com/img/460/c08n1024twxu/eeek.gifhttp://seoagora.com/img/1098/s08m1119gagq/wave.gif
*shrug*

IBM wuold probably pick them up, they have the name, the marketing, deeper pockets than anyone in the industry, and a history of serious R&D. If they did step in then they already know their own processes that AMD are using to produce the next gen stuff, and their business areas don't cross over all that much (Supercomputing, but even IBM use AMD Chips a lot in the Big Iron).