nVidia,how much mo can you go?Say it aint so

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2008 11:21:57 PM

Just look http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39482/135/ In the words of Ronald Reagan There he goes again

More about : nvidia aint

September 25, 2008 11:24:37 PM

Yes! *New* cards! :na: 
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2008 11:51:50 PM

they need to get sued for selling us old cards. all they do is flash the card and now its called a gt???
im happy ati is whooping there a$$
=]
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 25, 2008 11:54:15 PM

invisik said:
they need to get sued for selling us old cards. all they do is flash the card and now its called a gt???
im happy ati is whooping there a$$
=]

Bah, the average bumpkins can't tell the difference anyway. Wait and see, it'll boost sales of the exact same thing, like in the past. :na: 
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 12:03:07 AM

i feel bad for the sucker that thinks the new gt100 r sick cards lol.
i lost respect for nvidia over the past few months. whatever happened to there big bang 2 drivers? they released 178.13 and i dont see any improvements at all over the 177.92.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 26, 2008 12:05:28 AM

This has gotta make the OEMs 'really' happy.

*grumble* FAQin just printed new GF9800GTX+ boxes, then they tell me they're gonna rename them.... I printed up 25,000 of these stupid boxes, they're already selling poorly, and I though I could at least sell them all through next year without changing anything, now if I don't change the st00pid box then Zotac's gonna be selling rebranded GF8800GT card as GT120s for the same price as my non-selling GF9800GTX+.

ARGGHHH!!!!

Anywho, it's just more of the same from both companies, as long as the GT280 > GTX260+ > GTX260 > GT 150 > GT120 > GT100 > G100 it likely won't matter much to consumers.
edit - I'd be of a slightly different mind if there were feature differences, but there's little difference, just like the HD3K->HD4K renaming.
September 26, 2008 12:10:57 AM

Quote:
The new branding should clear up some of the confusion in Nvidia’s product lineup today.

Yeeeah, about that...
September 26, 2008 12:11:51 AM

Oh well... to be honest this is the only smart move nvidia has made in a while, focus on your mainstream because that's the only place they are worth a damn. I am glad for them... really. Now if they would just do us another favor and stop making chipsets, that would REALLY be something.
September 26, 2008 12:13:53 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

*grumble* FAQin just printed new GF9800GTX+ boxes, then they tell me they're gonna rename them.... I printed up 25,000 of these stupid boxes, they're already selling poorly, and I though I could at least sell them all through next year without changing anything, now if I don't change the st00pid box then Zotac's gonna be selling rebranded GF8800GT card as GT120s for the same price as my non-selling GF9800GTX+.

ARGGHHH!!!!

Anywho, it's just more of the same from both companies, as long as the GT280 > GTX260+ > GTX260 > GT 150 > GT120 > GT100 > G100 it likely won't matter much to consumers.
edit - I'd be of a slightly different mind if there were feature differences, but there's little difference, just like the HD3K->HD4K renaming.

Don't you mean the hd2k->hd3k? :p 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 26, 2008 12:19:51 AM

dagger said:
Don't you mean the hd2k->hd3k? :p 

No I meant what I wrote. Did you miss the part where there may be HD3Ks renamed HD4Ks? :kaola: 

The biggest important difference would be the HD-playback and aduio support, everything else is more related to performance than hard feature limits and no DX support change, just like no DX support change in the GF8/9->GTX. HD2K->HD3K involves DX change.
September 26, 2008 12:23:03 AM

What a crock. Profits and sales must be dropping from all ranges now, only explination for this. Why else would you bother going back and renaming an old series of cards, not to mention the 8000 series which has twice been suceeded.

Unbeknownst people are gonna think these are truly GTX series cards, just "down clocked". Which.....is the whole idea.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 12:27:58 AM

Im just hoping that, as we all know the 200b is sopposed to be the 55nm of the G200 series, the G206 and the G212 isnt just the same cards at 40nm. I know the 206 is supposed to be at 55, but all it may be is a GT model
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 12:32:05 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

*grumble* FAQin just printed new GF9800GTX+ boxes, then they tell me they're gonna rename them....

Just do what Gainward does. My 9600GT was shipped in an 8600GT box with a sticker covering up the original print.
September 26, 2008 12:37:28 AM

randomizer said:
Just do what Gainward does. My 9600GT was shipped in an 8600GT box with a sticker covering up the original print.

Lol, wouldn't it be nice if they make a mistake and give out a 9600gt for an order of 8600gt? :na: 
September 26, 2008 12:40:12 AM

randomizer said:

Hehe in fact, if I was EVGA or XFX I'd be considering on following Gainward, MSI, and ASUS lead. Selling cards for both Ati and nvidia, regardless of which side is winning you'd always be winning...
September 26, 2008 12:43:24 AM

you loosers are just said that nvidia will be pwnnin ATI again with this awwesome rebrand. they should be able to beats the 4870X2 no prob.

-concrum
September 26, 2008 12:47:50 AM

IndigoMoss said:
you loosers are just said that nvidia will be pwnnin ATI again with this awwesome rebrand. they should be able to beats the 4870X2 no prob.

-concrum

Absolutely! :na: 
September 26, 2008 12:52:25 AM

^ :lol: 
September 26, 2008 1:07:45 AM

Nvidia went with the "GTX" name to alienate confusion with their naming, make thinks simpler. They have infact done the EXACT opposite with this, the start was the GTX 260 216.

There are just way to many damn 2's in these names, this is absurd. And I thought the X1900XTX was bad.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 1:08:06 AM

IndigoMoss said:

-concrum

:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :o  :o  STICKER SHOCK :o  :o  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 1:33:45 AM

Oh, come on, don't be so harsh on nVidia, all big companies do that, right?

*cough cough * Vista -> Seven * cough cough*

Anyway, if that re-re-naming brings more to the table (full accel video playback, integrated sound, more performance) we all can forgive that, right? XD

Let's just hope ATI doesn't get asleep with their developments...

Come on nVidia, wake up!

Esop! xP
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 1:52:56 AM

How about not only full playback, hpw about DX10.1? How about 7.1 audio out? And its true, seven is looking like Vista, but seven ISNT looking like xp. If they do this again, itll be win2k heheh. They offered no innovations, let alone new cards. The new cards they did provide were overpriced and so so in performaance. And since theyve been poiunding out the "best single core" mantra, theyve dug themselves a hole becausre those "single cores" are so huge they havnt an option for a x2 anyways. They took the wrong direction, there performance per watt is bad, their AA isnt the best anymore.They took all these directions, and let it happen. If ATI HADNT done what they did, imagine what wed be left with? And Im sure thered be some people still praising them and there decisions.
September 26, 2008 2:08:30 AM

Can they please just go GTX 100 - 200, Gtx 210 - 300, GTX 310 - 400... etc

Damn, stop making super long names.

Still, im interested in a 45 nm 260 card.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 2:11:51 AM

I'd forgive DX10.1 if they release DX11 together with ATI (hence, there will actually BE games) :p 

Anyway, i'm more afraid that ATI stops making huge steps in performance and goes the nVidia route: renaming -> shrinking + no new things.

I know nVidia is no sweet lady here with their practices, but remember that we need him to play against ATI for our (customers) benefit. If those cards beat the 4000 series, i'd praise them, maybe not to the point of buying one of their cards, but to the point where they make ATI get new cards out there to compete against them. If they fail doing so, then ATI is going to be the new "meanie".

Esop!
September 26, 2008 2:13:36 AM

haven't heard from concrum or thunderman for quite a bit.... dare i say, i kinda miss their flame threads
September 26, 2008 2:25:34 AM

Change for changes sake is redundant, but scaling down the fabrication, increasing shaders and processors and adding higher quality and more memory, taking less power, space, and a larger bus are all pluses. What I hope to see is that nivida addopts gddr5 this next month, so that it can penetrate the market and drive the costs of both 4870s and new gtx 2xxs down at the same time.

A $300 260 240 core with a clock freq around 700 mhz with 1 gig gddr5 + 448 bus sounds tempting.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2008 2:30:33 AM

This wasnt pointed at you Yuka, more of wants, wishes and rants. If ATI hadnt done what it did, itd be awful right now. Prices sky high, Minimal performance increases, and worse of all people would be buying it, and the cards, cause we didnt have a better option. This can be transferred across all HW. I commend both Intel and M$ (though M$ to a much lessor degree) for holding a high standard, and pushing forwards. But we all know nVidias pride, and even with that in mind, this is what happened. Couldnt the same be said of Intel without competition down the road? M$ has too many legal issues to deal with to stagnate too much, but Intel and obviously nVidia dont. We need competition folks, thats just bottom line. Its scary to think what itd be like with no AMD, or ATI hadnt done what they did. Wed all be wallowing in mediocrity at high pricing. I heard 5 months ago this was the planned nVidia roadmap, it hasnt changed because of ATI, otherwise we wouldve seen better cards from nVidia, but thank to ATI we did see changes in pricing from nVidia.I know nVidia is in a fix, and cant really respond, but thats their decisions, and their blame as well. I know their focus has been on gpgpu innovations, and thats paramount to their existence possibly, so Ill give them the benefit of the doubt, and carry on, but Im hoping those decisions of gpgpu pan out, or this will be really bad for nVidia
September 26, 2008 2:30:53 AM

@zanny

of course, instead of lowering the price of the 260 if they ever release a gddr5 version, they can just price it higher, o lets say, $375? from $300 to $390, there is very little choice in video cards.. aside from watercooled/additional memory/rebate offers of course
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 26, 2008 2:39:26 AM

Oh crap look out. Should I get the GT123.987 or the GT122.879 ( which is just a rebranded GT119)?
September 26, 2008 8:05:12 AM

I don't think the changes in nomenclature are designed to fool enthusiasts who research their parts and buy the best at their price/performance level, but to accomplish two things:

1. New product names for the holiday season that are simply incremental improvements over older parts. This will influence buyers in Big Box stores.

2. New product names to show investors, proving that the company involved is making progress.

It's all marketing and marketing is all about profits, not technology.
September 26, 2008 8:37:11 AM

yipsl said:
I don't think the changes in nomenclature are designed to fool enthusiasts who research their parts and buy the best at their price/performance level, but to accomplish two things:

1. New product names for the holiday season that are simply incremental improvements over older parts. This will influence buyers in Big Box stores.

2. New product names to show investors, proving that the company involved is making progress.

It's all marketing and marketing is all about profits, not technology.

This is how the world of the market work and it has been working so far in our human race. i'm sure Nvidia will make profit out of it too. Isn't it great when you can make more money from doing nothing? or in this case just changing name of the products. :sol: 
September 26, 2008 11:34:18 AM

Nvidia is taking lesson from HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony and others.

Have you tried to compare references ? it is like the do a /random.
OEMs will cry tear of joy. the new GTs !! Yeah !! Now customers will pay more for the same crap !!

Good god.