Sign in with
Your question

AMD Deneb Phenom II Reaches 6GHz

Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2008 7:03:38 PM

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=6455

AMD Phenom II reaches 6GHz on LN2 cooling with 1.9v. 5GHz with 1.6v on Dry Ice. 4GHz with air cooling.
November 20, 2008 7:16:15 PM

Quote:
Well, today AMD had some actual demonstrations at their gathering...

Enough. Phenom had a special 3Ghz edition - which only Hector used - since Agena.

Wait for 'out-of-the-box' testing.

BTW, the full end is:

Quote:
Update: The Phenom II reached 6 GHz+ at 1.9v on liquid nitrogen (boiling point -321F/-196C at 1 atm). Testing looks to have been done on a Gigabyte 790GX motherboard that is currently available.

November 20, 2008 7:18:04 PM

According to Theo , this is possible, but hes scum so, it must not be. Impossible without HKMG, nope
Related resources
November 20, 2008 7:24:48 PM

Cool, at least it shows that Phenom II has lots of headroom. Benchies are everything, though.
November 20, 2008 7:24:48 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
According to Theo , this is possible, but hes scum so, it must not be. Impossible without HKMG, nope

P4 to 8GHz

8GHz and no HKMG, either. WOW.
Guess Intel didn't need HKMG either? :pfff: 

November 20, 2008 7:28:52 PM

NMDante said:
P4 to 8GHz

8GHz and no HKMG, either. WOW.
Guess Intel didn't need HKMG either? :pfff: 

you forget to / the sarcasm tag.

lol

gotta love these forums. ;D
November 20, 2008 7:30:20 PM

dattimr said:
you forget to / the sarcasm tag.

lol

gotta love these forums. ;D

You are right. So sorry.

Just didn't need this thread to become another HKMG drama line, either.

:p  :kaola: 
November 20, 2008 7:31:46 PM

So, youre comparing a P4 at 65-90nm that had NEVER shown a cold bug against a native quad at 45nm? Who else has a native quad that vcan do this? Not Intel
November 20, 2008 7:35:53 PM

whats the cold bug?
November 20, 2008 7:38:14 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
So, youre comparing a P4 at 65-90nm that had NEVER shown a cold bug against a native quad at 45nm? Who else has a native quad that vcan do this? Not Intel

meh, I thought he was just... you know... showing the irrelevance of the 'news', and not actually comparing anything.
November 20, 2008 7:39:48 PM

tipoo said:
whats the cold bug?

[2]
November 20, 2008 7:39:53 PM

tipoo said:
whats the cold bug?

Some processors experience problems when cooled to extremely low temperatures as is done when trying to set overclocking records. This phenomenon is known as the "cold bug".
November 20, 2008 7:40:57 PM

AMD sure opened the world up to me. It seems like the only places getting their hands on these breakthroughs are sites I never even heard of. They may be legit but I have my doubts.
November 20, 2008 7:43:21 PM

I overclocked my QX9650 to 9.2 ghz with the use of only a punkawalla.
November 20, 2008 7:44:06 PM

Previously, AMD had trouble reaching 4Ghz, no matter how you cooled them as they simply wouldnt run when cooled to 0C or lower. Seems they may have fixed this, and if this true, it is VERY impressive, for ANY chip to do
November 20, 2008 7:50:04 PM

I want to see one of these chips cooled to absolute zero and see what it clocks.
November 20, 2008 7:51:03 PM

The fact that it can even make it that high is good news, regardless what the source. But 1.9v is just stupid.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2008 7:53:21 PM

still maybe a little high on the voltage to get there... but still very nice... I think e8600s can get over 6 ghz w/o 1.9 volts :na:  but then again... its still liquid nitrogen so what does it matter
November 20, 2008 7:57:12 PM

Just remember, its 700million trannys, and never even gotten close to 5Ghz before.
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2008 8:02:32 PM

great news AMD! keep it up!
November 20, 2008 8:03:45 PM

Quote:
still maybe a little high on the voltage to get there... but still very nice... I think e8600s can get over 6 ghz w/o 1.9 volts :na:  but then again... its still liquid nitrogen so what does it matter

Yes, you are right about an E8600's hitting 6.2GHz. Not sure what the voltage gpt up to (probably close to 1.9v too), but again, it was using LN2. Skulltrail also hit 6GHz, but it was pushing 1.9v as well.

Oh, and there is an overclocked Core i7 that hit 5.25GHz, and was able to run a few benchmark tests at that speed, too.

But again, all these speeds were achieved using LN2, and it's pretty much just a bragging rights thing, and no where near what any conventional overclocking setup will be able to sustain, although...peltier and phase cooling might come close.
November 20, 2008 8:10:43 PM

Ill just say this, it sure as h3!! beats out the previous 3Ghz no shows in Barcelona!
November 20, 2008 8:13:20 PM

Looks like this will be my christmas upgrade. I want to sell off this Q6600 while it still has some value. Being that its lapped that might kill its "ebay" value though.
November 20, 2008 8:48:09 PM

What bashing? Why is it that you always see bashing, especially against AMD, when there was none.

Oh, did my comment about Intel hitting 8GHz equal bashing? It was to counteract your HKMG comment. If anyone is bashing, it was you, with your comment about "Who else has a native quad that vcan do this? Not Intel". Seems like a bash towards Intel, doesn't it?

So, where is this bashing now, jaydeejohn?
November 20, 2008 8:51:09 PM

it would be nice to see some amd competition in the enthusiast market for processors. Only time will tell i guess
November 20, 2008 8:52:23 PM

Its not bashing, just a lot of "wait and see". Personally I think AMD has pulled it off, clockspeed has been a weakness for them, and they have obviously tackled that issue with these Phenom IIs. Im gonna snag the 940 around Christmas myself if it hovers around $200.
November 20, 2008 8:55:58 PM

True that. Lets wait n see. This is competition, and after AMD had been written off. And alot of people had written them off, or do we chnage history again?
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2008 8:58:06 PM

fergie said:
I overclocked my QX9650 to 9.2 ghz with the use of only a punkawalla.

Post of the Day!
November 20, 2008 9:11:50 PM

Looks like Andreas and his AMD engineer may have been right afterall. Im hoping this is going to be common, as then therell be 3 options for ocers out, the old FSB way, the i7 way, and the Phenom way
November 20, 2008 9:14:14 PM

the actual speed is impressive, but the voltage required to do so is worrying. hopefully it can overclock to 4Ghz without that much extra juice.
November 20, 2008 9:14:55 PM

I just wish the selection of 790FX boards wasnt pure ****. Only 7 "different" models......youve got to be kidding me.
November 20, 2008 9:19:02 PM

This is the respect AMD is getting lately, 7 boards....what a shame. Im betting itll change now tho
November 20, 2008 9:25:10 PM

Yea....and im not going to buy a 790GX. Its only 8x/8x Crossfire, and I plan on throwing another 4850 in here. If im going to upgrade....im going to upgrade, im not sticking with 8/8 like my P45 is.
November 20, 2008 9:31:28 PM

Id wait for the AM3's anyways. Its still too early to see how all the releases and what they bring show
November 20, 2008 9:33:38 PM

Yea, that was my initial idea. But A. I like the 940 @ 3ghz and unlocked, and B. I dont want to ditch my fine DDR2.
November 20, 2008 9:50:14 PM

Yeah, both good points. Maybe Intel will lower prices after this tho? Or possibly theres more boards coming... too early yet
November 20, 2008 10:00:18 PM

Whoa some good news coming from AMDs new processor. Better 'wait and see.' Cause you know they aren't gonna screw up again. Seriously AMD learned its lesson after Phenom, you don't hype a broken chip. If Phenom II is as bad as all those 'wait and see' Intel fanboys think it is AMD is done for. But its probably not. We will just have to wait and see.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2008 10:05:53 PM

I wanna see 6 ghz on air before i upgrade :na: 

looks like it'll be a VERY long time before I upgrade from my q9550....

November 20, 2008 10:27:19 PM

this all pretty much means nothing. getting excited over engineering samples?? exercise the same scrutiny you did for the i7's. remember..even a broken clock is right twice a day.
November 20, 2008 10:37:48 PM

Just like those i7 marks at 5.7. I havnt seen that either. Best to wait n see, especially since this was AMD doing it
November 20, 2008 10:43:12 PM

exactly jaydee. i still havent seen anything convincing me of the i7 hitting 5.7 that i trust. this one falls in the same category to me. prospect of it being true? very exciting! i think its a little over the top from the reality of what will be sold retail IMO.
November 20, 2008 10:52:03 PM

What is this talk about 5.7Ghz? To be exact, jaydee, you were complaining about the 4GHz i7 overclock that Coolaler had posted. In fact, you started to complain about how Intel was "overhyping" the Core i7, and how you thought it was so horrible that the Intel "leaks" were playing part of the "overhyping".

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's all okay, since AMD is the one doing it. Right.

As for the 5.7GHz Core i7, never heard of such an overclock. Hexus did a 5.25GHz overclock using LN2 with a Core i7.
Hexus
In case you wanted to see the results.

**edit**
I think I found the 5.7GHz you were speaking of. It was not stable, and could not boot into the system, from what I saw. It was just BIOS stable, which is useless. LOL
November 20, 2008 10:53:16 PM

I think the 5.7 was done by independent tho, and this was done by AMD, so to be fair, the Intel cpu at this point looks more likely as to actually happening. Either way, so far, the 2 look very close in ocing capabilities, if everythings true
November 20, 2008 11:09:03 PM

No, its certain people out of touch with how things actually go that have been overhyping their precious cpu. Read my last 3 comments . I cant believe you. So "Yeah, both good points. Maybe Intel will lower prices after this tho? Or possibly theres more boards coming... too early yet "
or "Just like those i7 marks at 5.7. I havnt seen that either. Best to wait n see, especially since this was AMD doing it "
I think youre problem is, you like a certain company too much, and dont recognize the hype when its there
November 20, 2008 11:25:33 PM

Go back and look at that thread, where you criticized people for "overhyping". No one there was "jumping for joy" or "celebrating" over leaked info.

As for liking a certain company, nope. I work for a certain company, but that's what it is - a company. They could fire me without reason, so why should I have loyalty towards any one entity? I use Intel CPUs, only because I get them for FREE, I even have an old EE Prescott. What does that prove? Nothing.

Again, with your hype...you are playing into it right here. It doesn't matter what you said in the last few posts. You already bought the hype presented by AMD. There is no difference if it was done by an 3rd party, cause "hype is hype".
November 20, 2008 11:33:29 PM

Is it? Im thinking , like I already said, which WASNT said by all those other people, that its best to wait and see, as I said in those other posts in the other thread as well. Now, if you think its best NOT to do as Ive said, and to actually buy this info being released without any hesitation, then go ahead, youb buy it. Its my recent words vs whatever your point is
November 21, 2008 12:06:38 AM

This isnt just coolaler doing this by himself Here http://www.legitreviews.com/article/836/1/
"If AMD wanted to get some viral marketing going by showing off Phenom II X4 overclocking it seems that they have hit the nail on the head. Phenom II X4 scales much better than the original Phenom X4 processors, which is obvious as they showed overclocking on several different systems with numerous processors. AMD also said that these weren't totally cherry picked samples and that these results are about average from what they are seeing with early samples. If that proves true on retail samples it will make for an interesting part! Reaching 3.2GHz on a current Phenom X4 is a great overclock, but reaching nearly 4GHz on Phenom II X4 is an awesome overclock"

So yea, it IS AMD hyping it up, and Ill say it now. Not afraid to at all. When will certain people realise round here, Im no cpu fanboy? This is good news, as was i7 when we found out about its ocing abilities. Or I could quote myself again, but Im hoping you get the bigger picture here
November 21, 2008 12:14:39 AM

but..we really dont know anything beyond what AMD is telling us.. i remember the Phenom getting alot of love from AMD as well. alot of lofty claims that never made it to the reality of retail. certainly i wouldnt believe they would be that stupid a second time or even Thunderpants would likely jump ship lol
!