Tiger direct or newegg?

Tigerdirect carries some different brands (especially cases and power supplies) then newegg does. I've bought from both and both have been reliable. Neweggs site is much easier to navigate and prices are usually better, but not always. Go with whichever one offers best prices for you.
The motherboard comes with SATA cables, you probably don't need to buy extra ones. In the case of this particular build, Tigerdirects prices would be lower for me then neweggs.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I'm going to have to say that the 680i chipset is a little outdated. I am also going to recommend a 4850 instead of the 9800GT. And yes, it is possible to get that same stuff off newegg, except for the case. Also, when choosing a MB, check to make sure that it comes with the SATA cables, since most do now.

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have found that alot of pc stuff i was looking for tigerdirect did not carry, so for me it was pretty easy who to chose. but tiger direct has lower prices on alot of items but not always.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I have found NewEgg to be better at customer service.
Sata drive cables come with motherboards.
If bought separately from NewEgg they charge more for shipping than what a small item costs.
Ultra power supplies are almost always rated at the bottom of the tiers.
Newegg does not sell ultra, NewEggs house brand is Rosewill.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I was burned severely by TigerDirect and it will take a miracle for me to order from them again. Right when the AMD X2s came out... like the first week... I placed an order with Tiger Direct for some ungodly sum of money (I'm thinking around $500) for an AMD X2-4400+ that was listed as being IN STOCK. I'd ordered all of my other components from NewEgg and assumed everything would get here approximately at the same time. Well, I got a notice from TigerDirect that my order would ship in 2-3 weeks. Uhh... no. HELL NO. I go back on the site and look up the same part and it's still listed as being IN STOCK. It was a painful process to cancel the order and get the charges off my credit card... I ordered the CPU from NewEgg, paid maybe a few bucks more and it shipped the next day. This delayed my build by a few days, but not a few weeks. That one experience really just turned me off to TigerDirect. I've spent close to $10,000 over the years with NewEgg so they lost a good customer in me.

mbbs20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
try avoiding tigerdirect...i have read numerous customer problems with them...be sure to check www.reselerratings.com for every website u want to purchase from...believe me the newer "very satisfied" comments on tigers customer page look a little fishy as the ones before were dismal anyways i have read there rebates offers are terrible...they put stickers on the bar code intentionally to avoid giving the rebate...there used to be a website name tigerdirectsucks.org and it has been banned..read below for some comments

http://digg.com/tech_news/TigerDirect_s_employees_explain_how_it_sucks

other then that GOD knows best...that was my research when i wanted to buy pc parts a few months a go...

anyways i would also advice u to avoid 680i as well..i myself have the 680i lt version from xfx but it doesn't support the newer 45nm quads (45nm dual cores are supported with bios update)....also needs the pencil mod to overclock q6600 higher then 3.0-3.2 with the volt droop prob (or something similar in name) plus it is pci-e1.0

as others have said go wit ha 4850 or 4870 and stick to a single pcie 2.0 or crossfire if u need dual cards ...

runswindows95

Distinguished
Newegg. Here's why:

1) WAY better website. The search feature on Newegg rocks!
2) No taxes. I live in Florida, so all TD purchases are taxed.
3) Quicker and cheaper shipping.
4) Better customer service
5) More options and better brands.

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
+1 for buying extra sata cables with that EVGA board. Ive been having issues with my EVGA 780i randomly not recognizing my hard drives on boot. After reloading my OS multiple times and formating my HD's I stumbled across someone else on the EVGA forum having the same symptoms and the advice given was to replace the sata cables. Sure enough EVGA ships thier boards with some cheap sata cables. Get the cables and save yourself months of headaches.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
"Watch out. Watch out Will Robinson!" Tiger Direct, for many of their rebates, use "third party" rebate centers that IMHO are often charlatans. I have been ripped off more than once in the past, purchasing items from TD based on low prices which required the mailing in of rebates. Most notorious was the "OnSale" rebate center that required you to jump through so many hoops as to be absolutely rediculous (a five step process, to the best of my recollection that went far beyond sending in the bar code and proof of purchase invoices, and in the one instance where I did receive a rebate, I had to wait almost 4 months). They now use "WorldWideRebates, which I have no experience with, but may be cast in the same mold.

If you purchase something from TD that involves a rebate, make sure it is sponsored by the product manufacturer and not some "third party" rebate center.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
TG has some times higher prices and I live in FL so I try to avoid them to not pay taxes.
Newgg has nice prices, nice shipping rates and also a lot to choose from.

I have to pay government extortion when buying from Newegg because I live in Tennessee, where they have a warehouse. Even so, although I'll sometimes buy from another place, I like Newegg's customer service, and standard shipping sometimes reaches me the next day.
Since looking over some of their catalogs and noting the high prices, I've never thought to shop at TigerDirect. I suppose I'd consider it if Froogle or some other comparison site pointed me there for a particular deal.