radeon hd 4850

yaz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
sorry, should work now. i guess it's just the difference between two manufacturers, but i'm wondering if one is better than the other...?

Sus-penders

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Nope, exactly the same thing (aside from the chick on the front, obviously ;))

Some people prefer Asus because they offer a nifty utility which allows you to control the cards fanspeed...other than that there isn't any difference.

Sapphire offers a two year warranty, Asus 3 years.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
no, but you should make your descision on which one has better customer service...i personally wouldn't know, but owned a couple sapphire cards and a couple asus mobo's, nothing ever went wrong...

i heard sapphire has horrendous customer service soo... asus it is?

yaz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
thanks for the quick responses. would that make the sapphire card noisier, considering i can't adjust the fan...?

This was a sweet deal IMO: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019829&cid=999.243.272

Regarding your question. Actually, you must adjust the fan speed, but upwards. That card (the 1 slot version) runs pretty hot at stock fan setting. Oh, and your card won't become that much noisy, it's a quiet card overall.

I don't remember how to do that tweaking, but there are a couple of utilities that do that. Bad thing is, they're not very user friendly :/

Ati Tray Tools is one of them. At least for adjusting the fan speed, works fine.

Esop!

yaz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
good to hear it's quiet overall. what is it in particular you like about the card you linked? the price, or something more?

yaz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
ah, i see. thanks for the help guys! i guess i'll stick with the sapphire then. easier at this point, and they all sound comparable.

Yep, it's cause of the after market cooler it has.

I won't say the Sapphire is a bad choice, but you'll have to do a little tweaking on it's fan cause it's going to run HOT with stock settings. With the other one, you won't do anything, pro'lly.

It's a matter of choice actually. Both cards are the same, but the cooling solution is a big fact IMO.

Esop!