Sign in with
Your question

Win7 64 bit - Flash Drive - Device not ready

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2010 4:35:40 PM

I am using Win7 Ultimate, 64 bits with a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (rev. 1.0) Motherboard and ATI Radon 5850 Video card. I also have a Patriot 128 GB Torqx SSD and WD 750 GB Caviar Black HDD. All have the latest drivers and firmware.

The problem is that both the Corsair 8 GB Flash Voyager and the 4 GB Jetflash TS4GJFV4 flash drives produce a "Device Not Recognized" message when plugged into any of several USB ports on the MB. Both devices work perfectly on another Win7 Home Premium 32 bit system with completely different hardware.
February 3, 2010 4:42:35 AM

PBBob said:
I am using Win7 Ultimate, 64 bits with a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (rev. 1.0) Motherboard and ATI Radon 5850 Video card. I also have a Patriot 128 GB Torqx SSD and WD 750 GB Caviar Black HDD. All have the latest drivers and firmware.

The problem is that both the Corsair 8 GB Flash Voyager and the 4 GB Jetflash TS4GJFV4 flash drives produce a "Device Not Recognized" message when plugged into any of several USB ports on the MB. Both devices work perfectly on another Win7 Home Premium 32 bit system with completely different hardware.

Well, it looks as if I solved the problem. The culprit was my Rosewell RCR-IC001 Internal Card Reader that suppots 4 card slots and a USB port. As long as that beast was plugged into a motherboard USB socket, neither the RCR-IC001 or 2 USB Case ports using a second MB socket would read USB flash drives. Interestingly, the USB sockets directly on the MB back panel continued to work properly for a mouse, KB and printer.

I had a second RCR-IC001 and tried it too. On this one, The USB port on the RCR-IC001 would not work, but at least this unit did not clobber the second MB USB socket. In both cases, the SD card slot on the RCR-IC001 continued to work. I did not have memory cards to try the other 3 card slots.

In looking at the feedback on the RCR-IC001 at Newegg (my source), I now see that problems of this sort have been seen by others. I suspect that perhaps the fact that 4 card reader slots and a USB port are all connected to one USB socket on the MB may be a marginal overload (even with nothing plugged in the slots) and at some point some motherboards can not support the load.
m
l
!