PutchPT

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
hi, as the topic says, i need help choosing a CPU cooler.
the computer is built for games with a small overclock on the CPU (from 2.66Ghz to 3Ghz) and i would like a good performance/quiet cooler for that and, if possible, not too "big" or heavy...

and also, don't worry too much about money...

here are the components i already have:

CPU ------------------ Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 Stepping SLBEJ
MOTHERBOARD ---- Asus P6T
RAM ------------------ Corsair Dominator 3x2Gb (6Gb) 1600Mhz Cas8
POWER SUPPLY --- Corsair HX-750W Modular
GPU ------------------ Sapphire ATI 5870
CASE ---------------- CoolerMaster Dominator CM 690

i was thinking of buyng the Scythe Mugen 2, but when i saw it in the store, i saw how big it was and also the salesman told me that this cooler and the motherboard i have don't "install" each other "normally", and he told me i have to make some changes, something like, taking of the socket to make adjustments, is it true???

thanks

Last edited:

PutchPT

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
much thanks for the benchmarks site...

can your answer me this detail:

a salesman told me that the Scythe Mugen 2 and the motherboard Asus P6T don't "install" each other "normally", and he told me, i have to make some changes, something like, taking of the socket of the CPU to make adjustments, then putting it on, etc etc...is it true???

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I don't know what the salesman was referring to. I'd disreguard it. Now, If I could ask him I'd know, but your description of what he said doesn't give me much if any info.

There is tons of heatsink mounting info on the web. And videos of maybe that exact one on Youtube. I suggest you read up a bit to assure yourself.

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Without seeing the two its hard to say, but depending on the layout of your board and dimensions of the cooler sometimes there are issues with the ram slots or something else being too close to the socket to mount a bracket or the cooler itself.

I have a really small Biostar board and I can tell just buy looking at some of these coolers there is no way they will mount on my board. Just not enough room around the socket.

Paul

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I googled it, it should work. However I saw a picture of one and the cooler is almost as big as the motherboard lol. Might not be an "easy" install but from the looks of it others have done it.

Paul