Troubleshoot: Bad RAM, mobo, or config?

neffwashere

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I just recently purchased and assembled a system from Newegg, using parts with fairly high ratings, wanting a decently fast but affordable system:

ASRock P45R2000-WiFi LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04

However, I'm having issues. When I run MemTest86+, I get memory errors. It would appear that any combinations of the ram in the DDR2 slots results in errors, though the errors occur much sooner (around 3-5%) when using two sticks. When testing single sticks at a time, the errors usually occur later, either at around 70%, or after an entire pass has completely error free.

As a note, with only one stick of the new ram in, Vista 32 and games can run pretty reliably for a while, but do seem to eventually crash.

Also note that I disconnected the raptor, but still had errors in memtest with the new ram.

I tested the ram in my old system, and it ran a complete pass error free with both sticks, dual channeled. My old system is pretty similar, same wattage psu, with e6600, 150gb raptor, one optical drive, and a pcie 1.0 x16 gfx card.

I tested my old ram (DDR2,800) in the new system, and it had lots of errors in memtest.

So, looks like the motherboard might be bad? Is there a possibility the PSU is not enough, or that another component is causing issues? Of course I don't want to RMA the mobo unless I'm absolutely sure it's the problem, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much for your time!

Did you check the memory settings in the BIOS?

Run CPU-Z and verify that the BIOS settings are the same as the SPD?

It's a shame you didn't ask us first about the MB. Don't rely on newegg reviews to make decisions.

oh i missed the rosewill power supply... yep a prime example of why you should not read newegg reviews.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
In the BIOS you may have to raise the memory voltage. That DDR2-1066 requires 2.1V to run at 1066. The default DDR2 voltage is 1.8V.

You also may have to raise the northbridge voltage.

One more thing, Check the memory tRFC. for the 2Gig sticks most require a tRFC of 54 or higher to run over DDR2-800.

If that does not help RMA the board and if that does not fix the problem get the ASUS P5Q.

If the memory checks good on the other board its not the RAM.

1Haplo

mjebber

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I too am having problems. I have the Asus P5Q and I am wondering how picky it is on the memory type. I have 8G in, all brand new Kingston KVR800D2K2 sticks (DDR2-800). Ran MemTest86+ and seeing similar issues with memory. The memory listed is not on the list in the PQ5 QVL, but i have a hard time believing all four (tested independently) are bad. They fail faster when one stick is in and take longer to fail when all four are in.

Have 500w power supply but only running 2 HDD, 1 Video (NVidia 260), a DVD drive and a CD drive.

I dont know much about setting DRAM setting on motherboard, just running default settings (all AUTO for voltage and DRAM), and not trying to do any overclocking at this time.

Is this a situation where I need to tweek the bios or is the board that picky about the mem type i put in.

Any help to a newbee to the building world would help.

Jebs