Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to clone old HDD for new computer system?

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2010 8:58:07 PM

I have winxp pro and have a dell computer that has all my data. I want to clone the old HDD to my new bigger and faster hdd for a different computer system.

I have cloned the HDD successfully but when I transfer the new clone hdd to the new computer it doesn't' boot. I get blue screen with 0x0000007E stop error.

I read that if you run the repair windows from your winxp cd this should let it boot. Then you can install new drivers for the newer hardware. But it doesn't work obvoiusly.

If anyone has any ideas because i can't find anymore information other than what I talked about already.

Thanks
February 3, 2010 2:29:07 PM

Yes I know that is why it won't boot, but I was read somewhere that you use it in a new system by running the repair program from winxp cd and it should make it bootable and then you can update your drivers for your new system.

I tried all that and I was able to boot into safe made but can't boot normally.

So if anyone one has suggestion what else could be done please let me know or is it not possible to do this?

thanks
m
l

Best solution

a c 342 G Storage
February 3, 2010 3:44:57 PM

It is likely the main problem is in mismatched or missing drivers, all right. The Windows Repair Install process can fix this problem sometimes, but not always. From what you say it has done a part of the job - you can boot into Safe Mode, but not regular.

You might try this process in case it can get the job done. I expect the new computer has whole different hardware in it, including a different motherboard. A mobo has a LOT of hardware devices built in that require the right drivers - it's not just external USB printers that need drivers installed in Windows. If you buy a new mobo, or even if you have bought a new complete system, it usually comes with a CD of software and utilities. Among those usually are all the drivers required for that system, and often a utility for installing those drivers for the specific version of Windows you have. So, if you have such a disk, maybe try booting into Windows Safe Mode and running that driver installation utility from there. That might install all the missing drivers so that Windows can boot properly.

Now, a small note of caution. Many people advise that the driver disk that comes with your mobo invariably has out-of-date drivers, and you really should not even try to use it. Instead, they advise, go to the mobo manufacturer's website and download all the latest drivers for your system and install them. You might have to install each manually, unless the website also has a utility to install them all for you, in a manner similar to what the CD utility does.
February 5, 2010 3:58:42 PM

Best answer selected by glover2001.
m
l
!