get rid of this welcome screen

September 4, 2005 11:32:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi everyone
I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
And then finally to my desktop.
Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
Thanks in advance.
Or can I?

More about : rid screen

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:32:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Start
Help

Search for "welcome screen"

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
> I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
> After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
> When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
> And then finally to my desktop.
> Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
> Thanks in advance.
> Or can I?

September 4, 2005 11:32:16 PM

Ninip wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
> After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
> When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
> And then finally to my desktop.
> Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
> Thanks in advance.
> Or can I?

If you want to login straight to the desktop for a particular user
account do the following:

1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.

2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
start your computer.

You can accomplish the same thing by:

Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:

Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 5, 2005 4:13:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading logon
screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
Is this not possible in WINXP Home?

"Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
> I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
> After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
> When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
> And then finally to my desktop.
> Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
> Thanks in advance.
> Or can I?

September 5, 2005 4:13:27 AM

Ninip wrote:

> Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading logon
> screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
> Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
> Is this not possible in WINXP Home?
>
> "Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Hi everyone
>>I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
>>After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
>>When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
>>And then finally to my desktop.
>>Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Or can I?

Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Yes I did Rock, thankyou

But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name or
password or something.

What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me doing
anything.
Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Ninip wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading
>> logon screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
>> Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
>> Is this not possible in WINXP Home?
>>
>> "Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi everyone
>>>I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
>>>After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
>>>When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
>>>And then finally to my desktop.
>>>Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>Or can I?
>>>

> Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

September 5, 2005 10:43:30 PM

Ninip wrote:

> Yes I did Rock, thankyou
>
> But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name or
> password or something.
>
> What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me doing
> anything.
> Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ninip wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading
>>>logon screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
>>>Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
>>>Is this not possible in WINXP Home?
>>>
>>>"Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message

>>Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
you want.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:43:29 GMT, Ninip wrote:

> Yes I did Rock, thankyou
>
> But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name or
> password or something.
>
> What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me doing
> anything.
> Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.

Following the steps that Rock has suggested will do exactly what you want -
a boot right to the desktop.

WinME/Win98 weren't always rosey in the logon category. Add just about
anything network related, including some ISP connections, and a logon
prompt would appear. Even if I tried, I couldn't count how many times I
gave directions for avoiding those screens. Anyhow...

Logon screens are a given with WinXP since it is a multiuser operating
system but there are still ways to skip it such as the one that Rock has
described.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Rock

But the instructions you gave...............

> Ninip wrote:
>
>> Yes I did Rock, thankyou
>>
>> But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
>> or password or something.
>>
>> What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
>> doing anything.
>> Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>>Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Rock
>>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>>

> No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
> you want.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

September 5, 2005 11:34:50 PM

Ninip wrote:

> Hi Rock
>
> But the instructions you gave...............
>
> 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
> name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
> start your computer
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ninip wrote:
>>

>>>Yes I did Rock, thankyou
>>>
>>>But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
>>>or password or something.
>>>
>>>What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
>>>doing anything.
>>>Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
>>>"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
>>you want.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

So enter the user name and password. Then after that it will auto logon
for you.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

When it asks for type in username and password.
What do I put? For I have no username or password.

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o PYCIGlsFHA.2492@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Ninip wrote:
>
>> Hi Rock
>>
>> But the instructions you gave...............
>>
>> 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
>> name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
>> start your computer
>>
>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>>No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
>>>you want.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Rock
>>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>>

> So enter the user name and password. Then after that it will auto logon
> for you.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

September 6, 2005 12:03:39 AM

Ninip wrote:

> When it asks for type in username and password.
> What do I put? For I have no username or password.
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o PYCIGlsFHA.2492@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Ninip wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Rock
>>>
>>>But the instructions you gave...............
>>>
>>>3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
>>>name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
>>>start your computer
>>>
>>>"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>So enter the user name and password. Then after that it will auto logon
>>for you.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You have to have a user name - password no, user name yes.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

When users windows pops up it lists 3 users
Administrator
ASPNET
HP_Owner

Which one am I supposed to choose?

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:43:29 GMT, Ninip wrote:
>
>> Yes I did Rock, thankyou
>>
>> But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
>> or
>> password or something.
>>
>> What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
>> doing
>> anything.
>> Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
>
> Following the steps that Rock has suggested will do exactly what you
> want -
> a boot right to the desktop.
>
> WinME/Win98 weren't always rosey in the logon category. Add just about
> anything network related, including some ISP connections, and a logon
> prompt would appear. Even if I tried, I couldn't count how many times I
> gave directions for avoiding those screens. Anyhow...
>
> Logon screens are a given with WinXP since it is a multiuser operating
> system but there are still ways to skip it such as the one that Rock has
> described.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
September 6, 2005 12:06:57 AM

Ninip wrote:

> When users windows pops up it lists 3 users
> Administrator
> ASPNET
> HP_Owner
>
> Which one am I supposed to choose?
>
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:43:29 GMT, Ninip wrote:
>>

>>>Yes I did Rock, thankyou
>>>
>>>But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
>>>or
>>>password or something.
>>>
>>>What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
>>>doing
>>>anything.
>>>Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
>>
>>Following the steps that Rock has suggested will do exactly what you
>>want -
>>a boot right to the desktop.
>>
>>WinME/Win98 weren't always rosey in the logon category. Add just about
>>anything network related, including some ISP connections, and a logon
>>prompt would appear. Even if I tried, I couldn't count how many times I
>>gave directions for avoiding those screens. Anyhow...
>>
>>Logon screens are a given with WinXP since it is a multiuser operating
>>system but there are still ways to skip it such as the one that Rock has
>>described.
>>
>>--
>>Sharon F
>>MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User