get rid of this welcome screen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi everyone
I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
And then finally to my desktop.
Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
Thanks in advance.
Or can I?
13 answers Last reply
More about screen
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Start
    Help

    Search for "welcome screen"

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    > I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
    > After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
    > When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
    > And then finally to my desktop.
    > Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Or can I?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ninip wrote:

    > Hi everyone
    > I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
    > After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
    > When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
    > And then finally to my desktop.
    > Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Or can I?

    If you want to login straight to the desktop for a particular user
    account do the following:

    1. Go to Start | Run and type in: control userpasswords2 | Ok.

    2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password
    To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

    3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    start your computer.

    You can accomplish the same thing by:

    Download and install tweakui for xp and use its auto logon feature.

    Lastly you can add the Dialog box that comes up when running control
    userpasswords 2 to the Control Panel with the following tweak:

    Add Control User Passwords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading logon
    screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
    Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
    Is this not possible in WINXP Home?

    "Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    > I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
    > After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
    > When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
    > And then finally to my desktop.
    > Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Or can I?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ninip wrote:

    > Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading logon
    > screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
    > Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
    > Is this not possible in WINXP Home?
    >
    > "Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi everyone
    >>I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
    >>After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
    >>When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
    >>And then finally to my desktop.
    >>Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>Or can I?

    Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes I did Rock, thankyou

    But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name or
    password or something.

    What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me doing
    anything.
    Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Ninip wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading
    >> logon screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
    >> Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
    >> Is this not possible in WINXP Home?
    >>
    >> "Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi everyone
    >>>I have a new computer HP Pavillion with XP Home
    >>>After it boots ups it goes to Windows logging on screen.
    >>>When that is finished it goes to a blue screen with the words WELCOME.
    >>>And then finally to my desktop.
    >>>Question is how do I get rid of this welcome screen.
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>Or can I?
    >>>

    > Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ninip wrote:

    > Yes I did Rock, thankyou
    >
    > But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name or
    > password or something.
    >
    > What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me doing
    > anything.
    > Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ninip wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks for the help everyone, but I was hoping after Windows loading
    >>>logon screen finishes it could go straight to my desktop.
    >>>Just like my other computers did. WIN ME. WIN98 ,WIN 95 etc.
    >>>Is this not possible in WINXP Home?
    >>>
    >>>"Ninip" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    >>Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
    you want.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:43:29 GMT, Ninip wrote:

    > Yes I did Rock, thankyou
    >
    > But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name or
    > password or something.
    >
    > What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me doing
    > anything.
    > Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.

    Following the steps that Rock has suggested will do exactly what you want -
    a boot right to the desktop.

    WinME/Win98 weren't always rosey in the logon category. Add just about
    anything network related, including some ISP connections, and a logon
    prompt would appear. Even if I tried, I couldn't count how many times I
    gave directions for avoiding those screens. Anyhow...

    Logon screens are a given with WinXP since it is a multiuser operating
    system but there are still ways to skip it such as the one that Rock has
    described.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Rock

    But the instructions you gave...............

    > Ninip wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I did Rock, thankyou
    >>
    >> But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
    >> or password or something.
    >>
    >> What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
    >> doing anything.
    >> Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
    >> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>>Didn't you see my post for setting it up to auto logon?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Rock
    >>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>>

    > No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
    > you want.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ninip wrote:

    > Hi Rock
    >
    > But the instructions you gave...............
    >
    > 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    > name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    > start your computer
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ninip wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes I did Rock, thankyou
    >>>
    >>>But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
    >>>or password or something.
    >>>
    >>>What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
    >>>doing anything.
    >>>Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
    >>>"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
    >>you want.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    So enter the user name and password. Then after that it will auto logon
    for you.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    When it asks for type in username and password.
    What do I put? For I have no username or password.

    > Ninip wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Rock
    >>
    >> But the instructions you gave...............
    >>
    >> 3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    >> name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    >> start your computer
    >>
    >> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>>No, that's what auto login means. Follow the steps and it will do what
    >>>you want.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Rock
    >>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>>

    > So enter the user name and password. Then after that it will auto logon
    > for you.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ninip wrote:

    > When it asks for type in username and password.
    > What do I put? For I have no username or password.
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ninip wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Rock
    >>>
    >>>But the instructions you gave...............
    >>>
    >>>3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user
    >>>name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you
    >>>start your computer
    >>>
    >>>"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>So enter the user name and password. Then after that it will auto logon
    >>for you.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You have to have a user name - password no, user name yes.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    When users windows pops up it lists 3 users
    Administrator
    ASPNET
    HP_Owner

    Which one am I supposed to choose?

    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:43:29 GMT, Ninip wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I did Rock, thankyou
    >>
    >> But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
    >> or
    >> password or something.
    >>
    >> What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
    >> doing
    >> anything.
    >> Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
    >
    > Following the steps that Rock has suggested will do exactly what you
    > want -
    > a boot right to the desktop.
    >
    > WinME/Win98 weren't always rosey in the logon category. Add just about
    > anything network related, including some ISP connections, and a logon
    > prompt would appear. Even if I tried, I couldn't count how many times I
    > gave directions for avoiding those screens. Anyhow...
    >
    > Logon screens are a given with WinXP since it is a multiuser operating
    > system but there are still ways to skip it such as the one that Rock has
    > described.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Ninip wrote:

    > When users windows pops up it lists 3 users
    > Administrator
    > ASPNET
    > HP_Owner
    >
    > Which one am I supposed to choose?
    >
    > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:43:29 GMT, Ninip wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes I did Rock, thankyou
    >>>
    >>>But if I did it that way would I not still have to type in a log on name
    >>>or
    >>>password or something.
    >>>
    >>>What I wanted to do was it just go straight to my desktop without me
    >>>doing
    >>>anything.
    >>>Like WIN ME ,WIN 98 etc.
    >>
    >>Following the steps that Rock has suggested will do exactly what you
    >>want -
    >>a boot right to the desktop.
    >>
    >>WinME/Win98 weren't always rosey in the logon category. Add just about
    >>anything network related, including some ISP connections, and a logon
    >>prompt would appear. Even if I tried, I couldn't count how many times I
    >>gave directions for avoiding those screens. Anyhow...
    >>
    >>Logon screens are a given with WinXP since it is a multiuser operating
    >>system but there are still ways to skip it such as the one that Rock has
    >>described.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Sharon F
    >>MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User