Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rocketfish, best 30 bucks I ever spent!

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 3:47:58 AM

Took a trip to Best Buy today and picked up one of their Rocketfish universal coolers. I was thinking of getting the HD 50 water cooler or the SpinQ, but my system really doesn't run that hot so I wasn't sure I wanted to plunk down 70 or 80 bucks on a cooler just yet. Especially when the reviews I have read on those two were not overly impressive. 29 dollars and some change I can afford though. I figured I would give it a shot just for the heck of it.

This is just your average 3 pipe air cooler with a 92 mm fan (around 50 cfm). Looks to be a re branded thermaltake or coolmaster honestly. Rocketfish is Best Buys own brand name. So they probably do what Cabela's and other chain stores do. Pay someone to put their name on a product already being made. It does come with a bracket to install a second fan if you want and you can change the location and direction of the existing fan. And its universal so it fits lots of different sockets. I have an AMD am2+/am3 so it was pretty easy to install for me. I guess some of them you have to pull the mobo and put a bracket on the back or something. No different than any of the other coolers however.

It comes stock with the fan blowing air into the fins, I reversed it so it pulls air through them. I also moved my 80mm/80cfm intake fan to the back of my case so it it lines up with the rear of this cooler. So I have fresh air being pulled in and blown right into the cooler from the back and the stock cooler fan is pulling the air out of the fins and blowing it towards an exhaust fan in the front of my computer. I also have a 120mm exhaust fan on the side of case.

My system is an AMD Athlon II X2 240 overclocked from 2.8 to 3.5. Before this it was running on the stock heatsink and fan. I ran some tests just before installing the new cooler and then ran them again after installing it and swapping my exhaust and intake fan positions.

With the stock cooler I was getting 31C at idle and 56-58C under a full load with prime 95 running for 10 minutes.

With the new cooler my temps dropped to 20C at idle and 35C under the same full load.

I would have been happy if it brought my temps down to 50C under a load, 45C and I would have felt I got my moneys worth. 35C at a 20 degree decrease over stock was a very pleasant surprise indeed. I had to look everything over and retest a few times just to make sure I didn't do something wrong lol.

I honestly can't see the HD 50 or the SpinQ doing any better than that so I am glad I didn't drop more than twice the money on one of those. I am sure there are other coolers that perform better than this one but I can't imagine much better considering the price. I think a lot of it had to do with the fan I put behind it, but you can easily hook another 92mm fan to this cooler with the provided bracket and achieve close to the same thing. As long as you have adequate exhaust in your case. I have about 80 cfm of intake and about 140 cfm of exhaust in my system.

So if someone is looking for a decent small air cooler this one is worth looking at for $30 dollars. Can probably get one or something similar online for even less.

Paul

More about : rocketfish bucks spent

a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 2:45:00 PM

^+1.

@OP: Post screen shots of your temps.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 4:51:04 PM

Looks exactly like the coolmaster TX3, even has the same fan speeds and CFM rating. I think Thermaltake has one very similar too.

I was going to link to it on the best buy site but was not sure if it was allowed.

I think maybe I will disable some of my fans and see how it performs by itself as well. If I get the chance I will take some screen shots. Keep in mind I am just using cpuid hardware monitor and prime 95 for testing. This is my bedroom not a lab lol.

Paul
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 5:14:04 PM

I'm curious, the package states 1156 compatible. Could the op explain how that would attach to a 1156 motherboard ? pushpins, or back plates that would recquire m/b removal ?
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 5:15:50 PM

Even with pins, it's best to remove the mobo to ensure the pins are right. Been at this a while, seen many issues with not checking the back of the mobo for proper pin seating.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 5:18:38 PM

Anyhoo, it's not a bad cooler for the price. For $5 more you could of been in the top 5 and not at least 30 down the list. And get 7C better temps on a high thermal load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 8:36:34 PM

^+1. The Core Contact Freezer 120mm is $25 after MIR and ranked #4 at Frosty.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 8:58:44 PM

Ok I did some testing and took some snapshots.

Here is what it looks inside the case, and yes I have cleaned up that mess of a wire bundle lol.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z182/biteme263/heats...

Here is a snapshot of the temps with the side panel off and just the stock fan running.

And one with the side panel on with just the stock fan running.

And here are the temps with the side panel on and all the fans running.

The minimum temps in the middle are the idle temperatures and the max is the temp under a load.

"Anyhoo, it's not a bad cooler for the price. For $5 more you could of been in the top 5 and not at least 30 down the list. And get 7C better temps on a high thermal load."

What list and what cooler? This actual cooler probably isn't even on the list lol. I am sure I could have found a better cooler if I had researched it more and was willing to order one from the internet. But then you have to put your card number out there, pay for shipping and wait for it. This was kind of a spur of the moment type deal that happened to work out for me lol. I originally went to get the HD50 because it was on sale for $50 last week. I missed the sale though and it goes $80 now. So I snagged this one for 30 bucks for the heck of it. If I could have found a better model locally for 50 or 60 bucks I probably would have gotten that instead. For 30 bucks had I not liked it I would have just put it in my girlfriends computer and looked for something better.

And like I said, I honestly don't think I would find something that works much better than this in "my system". If it got much better I would be running at near ambient temps under a full load. However from what I have seen AMD's don't run that hot to begin with. On a different processor in a different system this thing might be a piece of junk. I only know how it works for me.

Notty22, according to the instructions it installs on the 1156 with push pins and removing the board is not required. There is no bracket that goes on the back. I agree with Conumdrum though, pulling it to verify they are seated would not be a bad idea.

Paul
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 9:09:48 PM

Eww at mail in rebates and mail order parts for me. It does come with a cool fan controller though. That would be worth the extra money to me. Not to mention its probably a better cooler for a hotter system.

Paul
m
l
November 22, 2009 9:11:01 PM

cool
m
l

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 10:56:21 PM

Atcually Paul, you made a nce writeup on the cooler you got. It's just not anything special or the best for price or performance out there. As long as your happy thats what matters.

Hopefully someone wanting a top cooler doesn't get all discombobulated on what to buy after reading your well done writeup. There is better than yours at the same price.

Thats what I need to get across to the masses of completely clueless people here that stop in here looking for advice. It's nice but not great by any margin.
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 11:15:03 PM

Nah, I got you and fully understand. My point was just that I took a shot in the dark at a no name $30 universal cooler and I actually didn't get ripped off lol. I really was not expecting much to be honest. It is an option for someone looking for adequate cooling in a simple set up. And its priced well and available.

There is something to be said for just being able to run to the store and grab one vrs having to order one if you live in an area like me. I know there are plenty of people like me that will pay a few extra dollars if they can get it from a local shop right away. I did a search and you can actually get something similar to this on the net for around $10. So it looks like I did overpay buy a bit.

Its certainly not the best thing out there that is for sure. Like I said had I done some shopping around or been willing to order something I most likely would have ended up with something better. And still might at some point down the road. And I am in no way saying someone else would get these kind of temps in their set up. I may have just got lucky. This thing might not run for crap in a different case or with a different cpu like an intel that runs hotter, or something with higher voltages.

I can't say without actually testing them, but I bet for me the other options I had for twice as much or more probably would not have worked much better.

I am in no way claiming to be a computer wizard either so being proved wrong won't make me cry wink. I normally post if someone else doesn't answer something. Alway hoping someone with more experience will chime in and verify or prove me wrong. I am really knew to this overclocking and cooling thing myself.

I have read many of your posts and I am certainly not going to argue with you lol. I am guessing you have forgotten more than I know.

Paul
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 22, 2009 11:46:59 PM

Good reply Paul, your a great breath of fresh air for a new person here, better attitude than most. Thanks BTW.
m
l
!