Need help on motherboard: K8N4-E Deluxe

blackbird307

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I don't know whats wrong with my motherboard, everything worked fine until I turned my computer off. When I turn it on I see nothing the screen is black. I'm not over clocking. My cable is hooked up to my video card, my video card works fine (tested on friends computer). When I turn on my computer my CPU fan spins, my video card fan spins. The ram is good I tested it on my sisters computer. The ram is PC3200 ddr 333 512 and I have 3 sticks. I tried reseting my CMOS, but still blank screen. I really don't know how this could happen and how to fix. Can someone help me? Please? :cry:

Welcome to the forums!

Take the motherboard out of the case. Hook up CPU, power and beeper. Power up and listen for beeps. Add memory and listen for beeps, then add video card and listen for beeps and look for video.
If you don't get any beeps, the motherboard may be bad.

blackbird307

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Welcome to the forums!

Take the motherboard out of the case. Hook up CPU, power and beeper. Power up and listen for beeps. Add memory and listen for beeps, then add video card and listen for beeps and look for video.
If you don't get any beeps, the motherboard may be bad.

I don't think my motherboard beeps, I haven't ever heard it beep before.

But thats alright after pushing the reset button numerous times something showed up on the screen, my normal post screen. The problem must have something to do with my BIOS. I don't know why, is there a setting that will help prevent me from having to reset it a bunch of times. I'm looking in my manual, but I have nothing so far. Nothing is wrong with my power supply, or at least I'm not sure. The motherboard requires 400 watts and I'm using a 500 watt oversupply.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
First, I hope you meant the PC requires 400w instead of the mobo.
Second, how did you reset the bios? With the jumper or by removing the battery? Best is to remove the battery for about 30 secs, always a garanteed reset.
Third, can you see what shows up on the screen? Is it something that makes sense like text or just distortion of the image?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Srry, missed it when you said you could see the post screen.
If that is true, the mobo is still alive and there is probably something wrong with the bios. Try clearing it like I advised and maybe upgrade it, however I would be surprised if that would solve the issue.

blackbird307

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Well when I bought the board it was flashed at 1011.003 which I discovered was a beta :/. Probably the main source of my problem. Is there a way to change to a previous version?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Like I already mentioned, the mobo worked fine in the past with that bios, so it would surprise me that a flash would solve the problem. Have you reset it like I told, by removing the battery (try 1 minute instead of 30secs)?
If you do want to flash, you will need a computer that works to download the bios version you want from the manufacturers site and create a bootable floppy/cd with the bios flash app on it provided by the mobo support cd. If you can't find it, you can probably download that too from the manufacturers site. To flash, follow the instructions in the mobo manual.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
You can read what i told you about flashing, but please wait with it. If something goes wrong your mobo is completely lost.
The PSU could be a problem. Is it a generic one, or one from a known brand?

blackbird307

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Takes a painfully long time just for it to show post. Turning it on and off until something shows up takes around an hour (atleast) based on luck. I tried taking the battery out as directed for 3 hours while I was away, I put it back in plugged in the cord turned on the supply and nothing happened. I'm using a 500 watt best power. But I have a 465 watt retail plus if thats any good. Is there anything I can do now?

Thanks for your help.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, after 3 hours it should be reset, I think :D

However, wait with the flash. Open the case and see if all plugs are well connected. Pull them out, blow in them and put them back in then. If that does not work, try that other PSU you got there.
I still have a question though: have you added some hardware recently to the pc? And if it posts after some hours and some luck, are you able to boot windows or at least a bootable DOS disc?
If that is not possible, I don't see a way to flash, because you need an OS to run the BIOS flash application in.

blackbird307

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I cleaned the plugs with compressed air. I tried the other PSU, same problem. I haven't added any hardware recently except at least week ago I added a bad network card which I removed. What ever chance I get I am able to go into windows fine and everything works fine.

blackbird307

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
My north bridge gets very hot fast within seconds (I burnt my hand :/), I cant find any fans that can replace the current one, which is slow. I took the fan off but didn't find any burn marks, aside of a huge wad of thermo paste.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
If you try with only one stick of ram, does it work then?
I don't think that the NB is a problem, because first they can get quite hot and second, as you say, when it gets into windows it works fine. If it would be running way to hot, you're PC would freeze in an instant when working in windows. Now you have removed it, just make sure you apply a good new TIM layer.
If the ram trick does not work, you may try flashing. I suppose you have never done it before? Which brand is your mobo from?