Can't decide on what RAID 0/1 or ?

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I just bought 2 new WD Black 500GB OEMs at MicroCenter today. Main purpose of the drive would just be mostly for the Windows 7 to run off of and all programs onto those drive.

All my downloading, DVD ripping, encoding I save it all to other HDDs. Would it be faster if I did all my downloading,Ripping,encoding on same drive of the OS.

If I run a RAID 0 I will have 1TB of space and if I go with a RAID 1 then only 500GB which is fine is 0 faster than 1 is so how much/less and will it matter for me.

If I go with RAID 1 can I buy a 1TB HDD or use my 1 TB ext HDD for a clone (and do I need it to be a 1 TB since my Main OS drive wont every have more than 100 GB on it). I rather it not clone what I do right away instead do a clone of the drive every other day or 2. Or is this where Windows back comes into play.

I dont think I need a RAID 5 or 10?

Next thing is can I do one of those RAIDs and do JBOD on the same MB. JBOD would be to hold all my movies I have TEMP until I get a NAS box going.

a link to my CPU Build is here is HERE
EVGA x58 SLI

Solution
Encoding files is nearly a CPU/RAM task. Spending the money on the second drive on a faster CPU is a better idea. I also suggest never using AID0 as your boot drive. To much headache getting your system back when your RAID drivers get hosed.

BurningIce

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi,

I'd recommend going with RAID 1 if possible, if you can't then you can go with RAID 0 but I'd really recommend 1 instead, 5 obviously is even better then 0 and 1.

RAIN 0 uses just Ribbing, Raid 1 uses Mirroring and as for RAID 5, well it uses both Ripping and Mirroring so its RAID 0 and 1 combined.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Yea I can go with RAID 1 like I said I won't be using more than 30% of the space on that HDD.

It RAID 5 that much better. I was reading alot of bad things.

RAID 5 I will need 1 more HDD and then it would be 1.5TB and only 1TB usable correct (it wot see that other 500GB HDD). If 1-HDD goes bad I would need to get another HDD to let it rebuild so I can use again.

So than if I do that it would make sense to buy a backup now and just store it until needed if I do or do I just go and setup a RAID 10.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Well I can afford 4 of those WD 500GB Black. I've been reading more and I forgot about the TLER problem which why a friend of mine went with the other ones. But after reading some more looks like these can be used fine if I just turn hard drive power to never shut off.

So right now I just need to decide to go with 1 or 10 (1 will only cost me $140 and 10 will cost me $280) I might just go with RAID 1 and then use my 750GB EXT or get a 500GB EXT HDD and use it as a clone.

Then I will have I can get some WD Green HDD for my media.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I was thinking about going with a SSD if I was thinking of going for a RAID 10. I seen a few 64GB-80GB on NewEgg around $250-$300 or so. I was hoping to wait a little longer for them to drop.

I'll read up on those Samsungs.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks your prob right about just going with with RAID 0 are those Samsungs really that much better?

If I buy a extra 1 TB drive to clone the 2 in RAID 0 (is that what WIN 7 backup is for or am I suppose to be using another program for that)

I don't mind the time to back it up by myself since I would like to install WIN 7 and all my programs that I use and then clone that.

Thanks for your Help and and everyone else's so far.

4745454b

Titan
Whoa, reality check time. AID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10, SSD, and JOBD have all been mentioned in this thread. Not ONCE has anyone stopped to ask why. All of these have their own different uses and purposes. The only tasks the OP has mentioned is "downloading, DVD ripping, encoding". These are not tasks that call for raid in any form. RAID1 you'll lose space, and AID0 can lead to data loss nor is speed called for. I would just hook the drives up and use them. No need for RAID from whats been mentioned so far.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Yea if it's really not going to help with any of those things then there's no point to do any RAID for me then. I wasn't sure if it was faster to setup a RAID to help encoding files faster on the RAID setup rather then having the new files be copied to a different SATA drive. Even if it was faster I still will have to transfer those files from the RAID drive to a SATA drive later on afterwards.

I think I'm just going to go with a RAID 0 and do a backup with 3rd drive. Since I really don't want to go RAID 1 just in case something gets downloaded like a virus then both drives will have them.

Thanks again

4745454b

Titan
Encoding files is nearly a CPU/RAM task. Spending the money on the second drive on a faster CPU is a better idea. I also suggest never using AID0 as your boot drive. To much headache getting your system back when your RAID drivers get hosed.

Solution

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks...Like I said I'm new to the encoding files so wasn't sure if the HDD speed would help. Yea I really don't want that to happen so forget that. Might try a RAID 1 or just plug in and go and forget a RAID.

Thanks for your help