AMD Upgrade Path

Hi,

For future planning purposes. I have a Phenom Agena 2.2 Gz 9500 (Yes the old bugged version, runs fine for me)
I will of course be upgrading to something more reliable, and faster in the next 6 months and dont really want to go over $200.

What sort of upgrades should i be considering? If poss with estimated values of chips in 6 months, or anything due to be released between now and then.
The rest of my system is sound, configuration is listed....4850, 4mb RAM, 790Gx mobo etc

Cheers
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade path
  1. In the next 6 months?

    Just wait for Deneb to arrive. It should blow the doors off AMD's current offerings (especially the 9500).
  2. and prices are hard to estimate, if the new chips are relatively close to i7 in performance, they might very well be priced likewise. Though it would likely cause price cuts on Intels side and amd would likely answer with their own..
    but yeah, for $200 there should be some interesting chips around in 6 months time
  3. I doubt AMD would price their chips too near Intel even with BETTER performance as they don't have the brand which, let's not deny it, helps intel no end when selling to Joe Average.
  4. Lots of thing can change between now and six months. I wouldn't do anything until the first of the year.
  5. pr2thej said:
    Hi,

    For future planning purposes. I have a Phenom Agena 2.2 Gz 9500 (Yes the old bugged version, runs fine for me)
    I will of course be upgrading to something more reliable, and faster in the next 6 months and dont really want to go over $200.

    What sort of upgrades should i be considering? If poss with estimated values of chips in 6 months, or anything due to be released between now and then.
    The rest of my system is sound, configuration is listed....4850, 4mb RAM, 790Gx mobo etc

    Cheers


    Your avatar has made my day.

    Word, Playa.
  6. Its a bit squinty but it made me chuckle :D

    What is known about Deneb?
    e.g. clock speeds, release dates, rrp, testing
  7. As you have an AM2+ Board, there will be 2 Deneb AM2+ socket Phenom II's out in January 2.8 and 3.0 ghz. This is probably you're best bet for upgrading. I've heard clock speed for clock speed anywhere form 15-45% speed improvement, take the middle and say 30% for clockspeed and than from 2.2 to 2.8 or 3.0 is pretty good upgrade.

    Feb on to Q2 the AM3 chips, boards will be out, but they will require new boards, and DDR3 memory, more an overhaul as opposed to simple upgrade.

    Than of course in Q3 (probably 4 knoing AMD's release delays) is the 800 chipset and cool things like SATA 3 (6gb/s sata drives), insanely fast HT, 5000 series cards, etc etc.

    I'd personally get the new chip in January and wait till fall if you go total upgrade. I'm weary about buying an AM3 board running a 750 chipset built for AM2+ with the 800's comin in the fall already as a noticable upgrade.


    PW
  8. Nice summary, thanks. Ill start saving the pennies for January
  9. so I'm guessing you only want to do a CPU upgrade. Then I agree with blippo311. Wait until you get some more info as things can change rapidly. I don't just mean technology wise but financially also.
  10. Correct, i am 100% happy with the rest of the rig (fan controller / PSU aside). I picked up the Agena for £50 off eBay and always intended it to be a stop-gap to a better processor a few months down the line.
  11. Actually, all AM3 chips are compatible with AM2+ boards/DDR2 memory.

    (Gah, can't find a reliable link, but I know I heard it from somewhere good)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Product