Sign in with
Your question

Diagnosing and correcting windows delayed write failed

Last response: in Storage
February 3, 2010 4:34:53 AM

I have a 500GB seagate external portable hard drive with similar problems. So far this is what I have done:

1)defragmented the external drive
2)ran chkdsk e:\r for 7 to 8 hours
3)reviewed the seagate log
4)tested my hard disk using seagate manager
5)contacted seagate and reported the varioius error messages found in the log. Seagate had me uninstall all of the seagate software on my laptop reboot and reinstall all of the seagate software.
6)switch USB cables

So far all of the above has not corrected the windows – delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save all the date for the file E: |Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by failure of tyour computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

When I have the delayed write failed I usually cannot go through remove hardware as the drive continues to spin. I have to pull out the usb cable. I also close any programs like itunes that I was using to save files onto my esternal drive. I run disk clean up and start all over again. I do not know how to correct the problem of the delayed write and would appreciate any information.

Also I have automatic backups of my laptop hard drive which is about 75 GB. I sometimes delete all the backup files and let it backup again. This too has not altered the problem as with a temporary increase of 75 GB in free space the problem occurs.

I had read on another site about installing a filter which I did not understand and changing the cache from 1 to zero which I did not understand either. The trial and error method takes a lot of time. Any way to diagnose the problem? If I try the trial and error method any information about the likelihood of success or failure with any of the possible fixes?

Again any insight in diagnosing and correcting the delayed write is appreciated.
February 3, 2010 5:10:24 AM

this is a realllly annoy problem. i had similar issue a while back. my exp may hav different cause but here's my take on it.

JUST TO TROUBLESHOOT, NOT PERMANENT SOLUTION HERE

2 possible test cases

(A) goto windows DEVICE MANAGER after your USB HDD is connected, look for the USB HDD, then RIGHT CLICK IT > PROPERTIES > POLICIES, try "Optimized for quick removal". U probably can't do that if yr HDD is formatted in NTFS. If u could set to "quick removal" (i think only works in FAT32), try that for a while and see if that's a problem.

this only alleviates the symptom but does not solve the problem.

or

(B) if you have an external USB HUB with an additional external power source (eg. wall power adapter), plug your USB HDD via that with additional power. see if that works.

POSSIBLE SOURCE

(A) DATA CABLE - Intermittently bad USB cable

(B) POWER - USB slot on the Notebook/PC does not have sufficient power for stable operation. Technical should give u 500mA per slot, but poor notebook/usb-hdd case design can put yr hdd power requirement on borderline.

(C) POWER/DATA - External USB HDD case is faulty, either electronics or connectors.

THE REASONING

delayed write failed comes up when data being transferred is in windows cache/buffer, which has not been written to the flash/hdd, suddenly has no transfer destination. in short, yr flash/hdd was briefly disconnected or does not hav enuf power to sustain transfer.

gl
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 3, 2010 6:27:01 AM

If the drive diagnostics aren't showing any errors on the drive itself (have you looked at the SMART data using a utility such as DiskCheckup?), then it's probably a connection issue. If you can open the external case up then I'd reseat the internal connectors, and also try a different USB port if you have one. How long of a USB cable are you using? Is there a USB hub involved?
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
February 3, 2010 8:54:34 AM

Some motherboards may not supply enough power to the USB port, especially when spinning up.

The message 'delayed write failed' means a buffered write request cannot be delivered to the harddrive; but since its buffered its counted as 'already written'. This data is lost - and excessive lost buffers may corrupt the filesystem so its something you should fix.

Make sure no high-power devices are connected to your USB - do not share USB channels with different devices when possible - each channel has 2 USB connectors. Do not use USB hubs if possible, but connect directly to the USB ports on the back of the PC (not any front ports). Also, make sure you use thick high quality cabling.

Any if this may help.
m
l
February 3, 2010 10:02:39 AM

HDD SMART is not available via USB, so have to plug directly to an port IDE on the motherboard like into your laptop with similar connector.

good & free hard drive smart tools.
http://aeo3.com/apps/hdsmart/index.html
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

i used these 2 to read drive's smart data bcos they detect the most hard disks.

aeo3 smart tool is also a nice portable with no need to install and u can copy the log and paste it here, let us know.
m
l
!