Cpu or motherboard... again.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Guys, this is starting to get embarrassing. I received a new *replacement* power supply (Antec Neo 550w) today for my UD3R motherboard. I plug it in on a desk instead of putting it all in the case. No periphials at all. Turn it on and the motherboard starts a series of short beeps. According to the manual this is a "power error". My last power supply did this and thats why i sent it back.

There is definitely no shorts because there is no case to short on.
I am going to test the power supply in a machine at school in a few hours but im really thinking that my brand fricken' new motherboard is to blame.
The only other part in this situation is my processor. Is it even possible for a processor to cause a power error? I tried it again without the processor installed and there wasn't any beeping but i really don't know what to expect when the processor isn't installed.

Please help.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
a series of beeps is normally caused by RAM. a continuouse beep normally indicates the cpu error i believe (havent had agigabyte board for nearly 10 years).

one silly question - do u have a Graphics card installed on the desk setup, this will cause a series of beeps if this was not detected or faulty.

but mainly sounds like the RAM is faulty or not supported by the board
work out the sequence of beeps

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
manual says-
series of long beeps is graphics card improperly seated
series of short beeps (what im getting) is "Power error"
ramm is totally different but i don't have the manual right now.

testing now...

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
guys. i understand the beps. its NOT Ram. there is a series of 9 or ten short beeps. This indicates a power error. NOT Ram. Besides, it does it no matter what stick i put in there there, and every stick has passed memtest the last time they were used.