help! what do you think of this build? $500 pc?

jimmyian88

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Hi, I am trying to build a low budget pc that can play moderate games not necessarily at high details, games like rainbow six vegas 2, Call of Duty 4. My budget for just the system is $450-$500.. what do you think of these parts i chosen:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G31M-S2L
Processor: E7200
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800
HD: 320GB SATA
18X DVD burner
Casing: Coolermaster RC-300/331
512MB Gigabyte 8600GT

I am from Australia so i can't use newegg.com =( ..
please comment on my build? can the motherboard go well? cos its a micro atx mobo...

I know things are pricey down under, see if you can find a cheap P35 MB.

Is there a power supply included in that case? It's likely pretty poor if there is one.

Antec usually sells good case + PSU combos.

jimmyian88

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
hmms.. newegg is only available for US ? dam.. lol.. yeah the case comes with a PSU of 350watts. the only P35 mobos they sell are by MSI.. what do you think? shoul i get one by MSI? or can i just move up to the Gigabyte P31-Ds3L

If the price is right on the MSI. They don't really stink so much, They used to be better. MSI is sort of a mid level brand.

You'll have to do some work to avoid a bad PSU... you know what? I'll give you the same advice I gave another fellow. ATX cases haven't changed in like 8 or 10 years. Get creative and look around, you can probably find a free one some where. Then just get an Antec Earthwatts 500W.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
the AMD 780g and 790gx on board graphics might be enough to play those games without a vid card, but would be worse than the 8600. I picked up a Gigabyte 780g, and they claimed I could bet a 3dmark06 score of over 2300 with it. (Im sure that was with a higend quad and overclocking the on board)
the real benifit is you end up with a more easily upgraded and energy efficient system.

At your price level. you don't gain anything by using and Intel CPU over AMD.