Incompatibility with Norton Internet Security 2005

The latest (as of yesterday) version of SWG refuses to accept ALT-TAB
(switch to another Window) at a moment during startup that Norton Firewall
is trying to ask the user whether to grant the SWG program permission to
access the Internet.

I find the statement on the Sony site that users should give up the vital
protection provided by a firewall in order to play their game, to be totally
obnoxious, though I do appreciate the list of IP addresses that should be
permitted.
6 answers Last reply
More about incompatibility norton internet security 2005
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    works fine wiht my norton 2004 security with latest updates and even before
    I updated it....

    "David Sachs" <sachs@fnal.gov> wrote in message
    > The latest (as of yesterday) version of SWG refuses to accept ALT-TAB
    > (switch to another Window) at a moment during startup that Norton Firewall
    > is trying to ask the user whether to grant the SWG program permission to
    > access the Internet.
    >
    > I find the statement on the Sony site that users should give up the vital
    > protection provided by a firewall in order to play their game, to be
    > totally obnoxious, though I do appreciate the list of IP addresses that
    > should be permitted.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    It may be with the 2005 version only. I had this problem immediately after I
    upgraded. I have reported it to both Symantec (Norton ...) and Sony.

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
    > works fine wiht my norton 2004 security with latest updates and even
    > before I updated it....
    >

    > "David Sachs" <sachs@fnal.gov> wrote in message
    >> The latest (as of yesterday) version of SWG refuses to accept ALT-TAB
    >> (switch to another Window) at a moment during startup that Norton
    >> Firewall is trying to ask the user whether to grant the SWG program
    >> permission to access the Internet.
    >>
    >> I find the statement on the Sony site that users should give up the vital
    >> protection provided by a firewall in order to play their game, to be
    >> totally obnoxious, though I do appreciate the list of IP addresses that
    >> should be permitted.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Hmmm I got 2005 layin around here gonna install that and see

    > It may be with the 2005 version only. I had this problem immediately after
    > I upgraded. I have reported it to both Symantec (Norton ...) and Sony.
    >
    > "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> works fine wiht my norton 2004 security with latest updates and even
    >> before I updated it....
    >>

    >> "David Sachs" <sachs@fnal.gov> wrote in message
    >>> The latest (as of yesterday) version of SWG refuses to accept ALT-TAB
    >>> (switch to another Window) at a moment during startup that Norton
    >>> Firewall is trying to ask the user whether to grant the SWG program
    >>> permission to access the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> I find the statement on the Sony site that users should give up the
    >>> vital protection provided by a firewall in order to play their game, to
    >>> be totally obnoxious, though I do appreciate the list of IP addresses
    >>> that should be permitted.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    David Sachs wrote:

    > The latest (as of yesterday) version of SWG refuses to accept ALT-TAB
    > (switch to another Window) at a moment during startup that Norton Firewall
    > is trying to ask the user whether to grant the SWG program permission to
    > access the Internet.
    >
    > I find the statement on the Sony site that users should give up the vital
    > protection provided by a firewall in order to play their game, to be totally
    > obnoxious, though I do appreciate the list of IP addresses that should be
    > permitted.

    Change your startup options for SWG to using "windows mode". Now, you
    don't need to alt-tab, and you can click what you need.

    CH
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > David Sachs wrote:
    >
    >> The latest (as of yesterday) version of SWG refuses to accept ALT-TAB
    >> (switch to another Window) at a moment during startup that Norton
    >> Firewall is trying to ask the user whether to grant the SWG program
    >> permission to access the Internet.
    >>
    >> I find the statement on the Sony site that users should give up the vital
    >> protection provided by a firewall in order to play their game, to be
    >> totally obnoxious, though I do appreciate the list of IP addresses that
    >> should be permitted.
    >
    > Change your startup options for SWG to using "windows mode". Now, you
    > don't need to alt-tab, and you can click what you need.
    >
    > CH

    I just upgraded to norton 2005 this weekend...I experienced no problems, in
    fact it automatically tabbed out to security window, set permission to
    'always' and no trouble since.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    "David Sachs" <sachs@fnal.gov> wrote in message
    > It may be with the 2005 version only. I had this problem immediately after
    > I upgraded. I have reported it to both Symantec (Norton ...) and Sony.
    <<snip>>

    Go into game options and set SWG to run in window mode, then give it
    permanent permission, then switch SWG back to Full Screen Mode

    Fennidh
    on Shadowfire
    Member <SSG>
    TKM,Smuggler,Pistoleer
    Imperial Navy Pilot
    & avid Hunter of whatever is profitable at the moment

Internet Security Norton Video Games