ok. does anyone know how it's done?

drysocks

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
How does the audio get onto the HDMI side of a HDMI-DVI adapter? Does the DVI have audio pins? My pinout shows no audio.

If an adapter is used, shouldn't the video card be able to display on any HDTV? Shouldn't you be able to select 720p 1080i etc for resolution? Did the modern driver writers not think of that as a resoution option? or is this a HDTV converter problem, not a video card problem?

I was also considering running a cable over to my TV too. But now I'm not so sure. Is this HDTV connection thing just an afterthought by vid card maker?

Thanks

I dont pretend to understand it all myself but i do know that the ATI DVI connector on cards equiped with the HDMI sound option are not standard DVI connectors and ATI have added the sound somewhere, sorry i dont know where or how.

Mactronix

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Did you ?

My ATI X800XT AIW has HDTV capability. I need to set it to display HDTV settings (like 720p) as an option. It will only send the video, regardless of how you connect it. You would also need to connect the sound card to your stereo, or you can just continue to use your current PC speakers for the sound.

@ DXrick,
Thats true but a lot of it depends on which card we are talking about, the newer HD series from ATI have the ability to transfer Audio from the DVI port through an adaptor to HDMI

@ drysocks,
Which card are we talking about here anyway ?

Mactronix