Solved

Understanding DRAM Final clockrate

I've been reading the guide on overclocking and I have a few questions to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly.

I'm using a Q9450 which runs at 8x333 = 2.6 ghz by default and 2 sets of Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX which is rated at 1333.

My question is regarding DRAM final clock rate and how it is calculated for DDR3 as that is what I'm using.

From what I gather there is no difference in the equation at all between DDR2 and DDR3.

Therefore since I'm running at 333 FSB stock and my memory is rated up to 1333 I could potentially run up to 666 FSB in linked and synced mode.

Due to the fact I'm running async mode right now with manual configuration of 1333 the ratio 1:2 was automatically picked as 333 * 2 = 666 (DRAM Frequency) and 666 * 2 = 1333 (DRAM Final clock rate).

Are these assumptions correct?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about understanding dram final clockrate
  1. Best answer
    You got it right, its just that 1333 is the number of data transfers, not "final" clock-rate, as it doesnt finally run at 1333Mhz but 667Mhz(dram freq).
  2. Perfect, what sort of performance increase do we see from running ram in faster than 1:1 with FSB? Is there any advantage or disadvantage?

What I gather is that it just creates troubleshooting nightmares so people stick with link/sync when doing a simple OC.
  3. This article should answer your question: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1962&articID=472

It's old but it gives you an idea of what to expect since the memory and FSB architecture of Core 2 hasn't changed since 2006.
  4. Excellent, thanks for the prompt replies everyone. Going to memtest my RAM this weekend and attempt a 3.0ghz ish OC.

On a side note, does anyone with a EVGA 790i Ultra know where the PCIE setting is to lock it to 100 so I don't burn out the slot when it tries to scale with FSB? I posted in motherboard area but noone seems to know.

Wish me luck,

Hutch
  5. Perhaps it's locked by default. Most motherboards do automatically lock it. Having it unlocked won't burn out the slot, but it will cause severe instability and probably failed boots.
  6. Just leave the PCI settings alone. If you do not touch them, they will automatically stay at 100 MHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel DRAM Overclocking