Bootup Too Slow

chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Hi guys,

I just finishing building a new build a few weeks ago (my first!) and everything's going pretty well -- the system is amazingly fast when in Windows compared to my old P4. The problem that I'm having is that the startup time is extremely slow (probably more than a minute and a half) and this just doesn't make any sense to me based on my hardware:

ASUS Maximus Extreme
Q9450
4 GB DDR3 1333
750 GB 7200 RPM HD (32 MB cache)
RADEON 4870
SAMSUNG DVD+/- RW SH-S203N
SONY BLU RAY BDUX10S
Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

The computer shows a logo for the Republic of Gamers for probably 30+ seconds and it looks like it's pausing after detecting each of the SATAs (2, 4, 6). It takes just as long to go through the Windows bootup animation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

YourGodOnEarth

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I've never "officially" timed my boot-up, but if you mean for when there is no more hdd activity (what some would call fully loaded), that's only a little longer than what it takes my system to boot up to where all HDD activity has stopped.
At 3.21-gHz the progress bar swipes across just over 8 times. 9-1/2 times at stock CPU speed, and about 7-1/3 swipes when OC'd to 3.51-gHz.
What extra little programs & utilities do you have running at startup (programs set to automatically run when Windows starts will slow down the boot process, sometimes considerably).
I'd say, in general, that 1-1/2 minutes is a little long, but not out of the realm of what can be expected for booting up into Vista, depending on what extras are starting when Vista boots.
It could also just be one or two components taking longer to initialize and load drivers.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It sounds like you don't have the SATA drives setup correctly in the BIOS.
When I setup my SATA ports to be used as true SATA in the BIOS, the computer takes 6 minutes to boot up but if I set it at the ATA setting, it boots up in less then a minute. You might also try updating your SATA drivers.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Turn on the quick boot function in your bios if it has it (or some sort of equalivent). Without that turned on it will run tests on your ram or hard drive or some such things, which will add lots of time to your booting.

TRENDING THREADS