Sign in with
Your question

display driver stops working...dropping me back to Windows

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2008 1:42:57 AM

HI all...

Saw a similar, but no answers...

Home built machine: Intel Quad, Vista 64, 8800 GT, 4 gig ram...

Been playing all FPS, racing, etc. for months w/o problems...

Not sure if I unloaded some Nvidia drivers while updating to latest driver, but I get "display driver stop working" within a few minutes of game play.
Loaded the turd game MoH Airborne, and it all started. When I removed drivers to update, I think I unloaded ALL of the related drivers, not just display driver...

Now Crysis, Dirt, and anything intensive to display will drop out within a few minutes. I saved all of the crash information....the top line is usually this "AppHangB1", along with a short list of other codes....

Everything has worked great all year, you think I just removed something that I shouldnt? I tried to go back to original (EVGA) drivers, but upon restart, machine wants to load up the latest or most recent display drivers...

I reloaded the DX9c and the Nvidia Physics back up...pretty frustrating, and its just a touch past my level of knowledge...probably something simple.

(also cleaned out machine in case dust build up was causing a heat issue)

Thanks a ton for any assistance...

Tom Whitemore
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2008 2:09:16 AM

happened to me once, uninstall nvidia drivers, reboot, install new drivers

hope that helps
September 27, 2008 2:45:03 AM

Hello,
Thanks...

I did try to remove them from Control panel, however, upon reboot, Wondows asks if I want to continue loading the drivers. Its forcing me to...so I of course cancel that, and load the newest drivers...but with the newest drivers, the "display driver stopped responding and recovered" error pops up...

I thought I could reload the original drivers from the EVGA disk, but when I click on that, it just returns to desktop and laughs at me...(biyatch!)

The Nvidia site mentioned that I should NOT remove ALL drivers, but just the display drivers, last week I think I did remove ALL in the Nvidia box...display, physics, and I dont recall the other two...

Could that be the problem? that its looking for the stuff I removed? Even though I have replaced the display drivers? gads!

Thanks again guys...

Tom W.
Related resources
September 27, 2008 3:23:12 AM

If you did remove ALL drivers, and you are using an Nvidia chipset board then thats your problem, at least part of it. You removed the chipset drivers.
September 27, 2008 3:49:51 AM

i just checked my nvidia drivers and all i see loaded are the video and the network/nic drivers,i think what you need to get a hold of is a third party uninstaller,,so go to:: :http://majorgeeks.com/google_search.html?domains=MajorG...
download this and install it let it do it's thing through the auto fix button at the bottom,,AND stay the hell.away from the add remove that comes with ms windoze,because like everything else they make it is half assed,as you heve seen it leaves junk behind,which can and will corrupt your system,just like their chkdsk..:) 
September 27, 2008 5:56:49 AM

hmmm, ill give it a shot

just tried Cysis on DX-9 instead of DX-10...went black about every 10 steps I took, for about 4-10 seconds, but recovered, and was playable...had been popping me back to desktop...but still aint right...

Ill head to the site you directed me to...thank you!
September 27, 2008 5:59:03 AM

ALso...I made sure Div-x, DX9, and my Nividia drivers were all current...no difference other than Cysis froze every 20 seconds....

aaarrrggg
June 12, 2009 2:33:31 AM

This is happeneing with me aswell. Age of conan will not work nor Crysis in DX 10. DX 9 seems to work fine but it seems as soon as I run any DX10 app it makes my whole system buggy. I have tried everything I can think of even used an NVIDIA card and an ATI (8600 gts/hd4870) Same thing every time. Im at a total loss here any help would be awesome.
June 12, 2009 3:55:08 AM

When is the last time you cleaned the graphics card?

I get this message anytime I forget to turn up the fan on my 8800gts 512mb before starting a game. My guess is your graphics card is overheating.

edit:

just read that you cleaned out the computer, but still what are the temps while you game / at desktop
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
June 12, 2009 7:56:24 AM

Mrbumbum said:
When is the last time you cleaned the graphics card?

I get this message anytime I forget to turn up the fan on my 8800gts 512mb before starting a game. My guess is your graphics card is overheating.

edit:

just read that you cleaned out the computer, but still what are the temps while you game / at desktop

Nine months ago I think you'll find, if you took the time to CHECK THE POST DATE!
!