Desktop icons move on system lock

Xyclone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I have a HP5850 that is running XPSP3, and every time that I lock the machine, or login in the morning a few random icons will have moved. These icons change each time, but always move to a second 'column'. I had to reimage my machine recently from my employers SDC image provided, and that is when this issue arose. The only thing is, I was running the same exact SDC before the image without this issue. I checked to see that 'auto arrange' was unchecked and also tried 'Lock web items on desktop' and 'Lock desktop items' under the display properties. I am an administrator to the computer, but there are somethings that are enforced by the group policy that I cannot change. So far, this issue doesn't seem to present any actual problems, other than being an inconvenience/annoyance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xyclone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
UPDATE:

I found the fix to my issue. Truthfully, I am not certain why I didn't think of it before. But for those users who have this issue in the future, try changing the resolution of your monitors. I bumped my monitors up one size and the moving icons stopped.

MonkeysMommy2008

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

YOU ARE AWESOME! This just happened to me today and everytime I would come back to my desk, all the icons I had just moved would be back on the left side of my screen, but I was not associating it with locking the computer until I saw your post. I changed the resolutiom on the monitors, locked it AND waited for power save to come on and went back in...they were all still where I had left them! Thank you! :)