Help!!!! Need help connecting 9800 gtx+

numb3rspunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
so i bought a new hp computer ( m8400f ). i succesfully replaced the power supply with a corsair 650W psu. and then i tried to install my new evga 9800 gtx+ superclocked version when i came across a problem. i believe my motherboard is an nforce 430, and the sata data cables going into the motherboard are not allowing my to connect the graphics card. when i unplug the 3 sata data cables (2 harddrives and dvd) from the motherboard the card fits just fine. but im pretty sure those need to be connected.. so i have no idea what to do to solve my problem. please help me.

4006157R_MV2.jpg

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Move the cables to the bottom 3 SATA plugs. Then youll have just 1 under the video card, and you SHOULD be able to slightly bend the cord, but not too much. And if its simply the base of the cord that is too tall, well youre kinna screwed :( Unless you can figure out what those SATA cables go to, im assuming 1 for the hard drive, 1 for the DVD drive, and 1 for the media reader/card slots. You might be able to live without that last one, well unless you use it.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ahh yeah, duh. I lost thought by looking at your red drawn "card". Well, other than that there really is nothing you can do. Hopefully you can return the card.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Buy it, plug it into PCI slot, connect the drives to the SATA ports on the card instead of to the blocked SATA ports on motherboard. :p

numb3rspunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
this are my specs from online: 1 PCI (occupied), 2 PCI Express x1 (two available), 1 PCI Express x16 (occupied).

the last one is obviously occupied by the graphics card. sooo um, does it go into the pci or pci express x1 ? if it goes in the pci slot, what do i do? is whatever is occupied in that slot neccesary?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
HMMMMMMM,,If you have the $$$ for a dual slot 9800gt and an upgraded psu why not go the whole hog and buy a real computer,or get one built for you to your specs either locally or at newegg,you will find plenty of useful suggestions here [Tom's] just for the asking,it looks like you are trying to put together a gaming rig,i think if you look into it you might find out that the Hp mobo may have some limitations,some of which you are already experiencing
and,,there may be other "gotchas",as you can see that mobo was never designed for a dual slot video card,who knows it might not even like your new psu,could be too much for the design if you look at the power circuitry is does not seem to be multi phased at all as in no choke coils at all,,personally i would get rid of it asap,mostly because everything is all cramped together and there is no room to work or add anything,,,..
Really if you want to spend the money and have it to spend ask around here at Tom's,you'll be glad you did,and wind up with a much better and "funner" experience..:)

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well the online specs and the design of the pic you have are different, the pic shows 2 PCI and 1 PCIe 1x. The PCI slots are the long white ones, PCIe is the tiny white one, which will be blocked by the 9800GTX. Youll have to open the case up and see if one of those 2 PCI slots are open.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Strange, I'm not seeing 2 pciex1 and one pci on that picture, rather 2 pci and 1 pciex1. But anyway, those are available in both flavors.

PCI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010073%201187112438&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Pciex1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010073%201187117620&bop=And&Order=PRICE

numb3rspunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
thats not really an option. the computer was a gift. and i spent 300 on a psu and graphics card, and thats all i was willing to spend. i never expected this problem seeing as i knew nothing of how to build a computer before this. but i knew i wanted to do some gaming and researched about how to go about that. i already have a great pc, and i realized all i needed was a new graphics card and a psu to go with it. i encountered this problem, and the solution is not to start over from scratch, its to bypass the problem somehow.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

All the ones on there have at most 2 internal SATA ports, so you'll need 2 cards for 3 drives. It'll be good if you can fit 1 drive onto the motherboard's SATA port.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
No, they only have 2 internal and 2 external. Unless you can find one that has 3 internal, or you have enough slack to pull a cable out the back from one of the expansion slot covers and hook it up that way.

numb3rspunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
i was trying to look up solutions before i came here, and i stumbled upon sata data 7 pin cables that had 90 degree ends. i think that the lower most plug might be able to squeeze in there with a 90 degree end.

numb3rspunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
but i have no idea if its supposed to be a right angle one or left angle one, do you think one of those 90 sata cables and one card with 2 internal sata slots will solve my problem?

Hah, you should have gotten a 4850. Anyway just put the expansion card in the bottom most slot. The firmware on the expansion card should let you boot off whatever you connect to it hassle free. If you don't want to wait and your town is lucky enough to have a CompUSA that was bought out by Tiger Direct, then you should be able to pick up one there pretty cheap.

numb3rspunk

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
i live in miami, so theres a million tiger directs here. i plan to go there tomorrow morning and hopefully my problem gets solved by the afternoon