When Will AMD Help Consumers Break Records?

r_manic

Administrator
Oh, look another world record set by AMD:

[flash=480,295]http://www.youtube.com/v/z6Hf6d404QY[/flash]

And of course, they used Liquid Nitro for this again (I think). Thing is, when will they actually come out with consumer-level setups to help the rest of us extremely overclock a computer for regular use? I'm starting to get tired of these world record attempts, when it's clear that the controlled environment and virtually limitless resources of AMD are beyond our reach. :heink:

/rant

Solution
I think the BE chip line is proof that AMD is giving us consumer level benefits from the knowledge gained through the OC community. When a stock 3ghz CPU can be OC'd with stability by 400-600mhz without a voltage increase, it is obvious that they are allowing us some headroom above what consumers consider reasonable performance at stock.

The problem with OEM extreme cooling, is the adverse effect that the failure of the cooling system would have. When you have a CPU fan fail on a stock Heatsink, or a poorly seated HSF with stock clocks, the computer will react with performance declines, shutdowns, warnings etc. It can normally be fixed easily, without lasting damage to your PC.

The same cannot be said about a daily OC of say...

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I think it said liquid helium, but I get your point. Might lead to some military or lab applications at any rate.

I look at it this way. Sort of like auto racing. Eventually some of the technology ends up in consumer based automobiles. While the normal person is not going to use super cooling what they learn from it will most likely end up in a home computer at some point.

Paul

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I think the BE chip line is proof that AMD is giving us consumer level benefits from the knowledge gained through the OC community. When a stock 3ghz CPU can be OC'd with stability by 400-600mhz without a voltage increase, it is obvious that they are allowing us some headroom above what consumers consider reasonable performance at stock.

The problem with OEM extreme cooling, is the adverse effect that the failure of the cooling system would have. When you have a CPU fan fail on a stock Heatsink, or a poorly seated HSF with stock clocks, the computer will react with performance declines, shutdowns, warnings etc. It can normally be fixed easily, without lasting damage to your PC.

The same cannot be said about a daily OC of say, 5-6ghz running on an OEM grade extreme cooling solution. Too much liability, not a large enough of a market.

Solution

Hmmm. Are you sure you are not talking about the Intel E8400? :)

+1 Agreed!

I think AMD has helped consumers break the price/performance barrier many times over. I can think of no better example today than the Athlon II X4 620; hard to beat a quad core for ONLY $99!!!!!!

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Yeah, i kinda agree, the lhe is kinda stupid. Just a marketing thing

Its way out of arms reach for any consumer, and even the people who do ln2 cant get a hold of the helium because it costs so damn much.

It is like $15 a litre and to do any kind of bench run with it you will need at leat 60-150l.

Ln2 is much cheaper, i can get it for $0.70/l

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I think it is fair to assume that AMD likes the press it gets from the very small % of users who utilize these features. I can't see it ever truly cannibilizing quad core sales. Even some of my more tech savvy friends had no idea about this situation, though to be fair they are mostly Intel and Mac devotees, heh.

r_manic

Administrator

Now if only the OCer can compile everything into a consumer-friendly package :D Oh and btw, the real source is here :p