Need some last minute help on my build!

cynlix

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Hey guys,

I just finished ordering my new system earlier today and have been piecing together parts from some prospective builds on this section of the boards. So anyways, I realized that my purchase order didn't include a video card I was planning on getting (EVGA GeForce 8600 GT). I actually was thinking to myself earlier that I should have splurged a bit more on the video card, so heres my chance to.

So here's my needs: I pieced this system together on a budget and my main purposes were: heavy photo editing, 3-d engineering programs, video editing, mess around with linux, and watch HD movies. With a slight overclock. However after I bought my system, I figured what the hell and I'm probably going to end up playing quite a few games as well.

I originally planned on buying a 20-22" monitor, but ended up spending on a 24" thus increasing my resolution. I didn't account my video card when doing this, so here is my chance to. (Lucky me). So please suggest something reasonable ($150 pref. but can stretch to $200). This was supposed to be a budget build ~$700 (including monitor) , but I'm obviously WAY past that point now (I'm like $500 over budget LOL).

Here's the specs of my build thus far (the important bits at least):

Intel quad Q6600
ASUS P5Q Pro
2 4GB (2x2) Crucial RAM (8GB total)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W
Xigamatec hdt-s1283
24" monitor that will be running at 1900x1200.

Drinan

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Can't really beat an ATI 4850 on a price per performance basis, especially if you can get a mail in rebate such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253

Powerful card, and will suit most people's needs. If you find you need more power in the future you can always buy a second one to crossfire down the track. Only problem is that the cards can tend to run hot using stock fan speeds; you usually have to apply a fan fix/edit the xml files yourself to raise them. While this keeps the card cool (still need good airflow in the case) it also makes it loud which may be an issue. Still, a very good card.

If you are worried about the resolution, you can always try to pick up an ATI 4870. Will more than suit your needs unless you love to turn up AA etc in games, however its less cost effective.