Sign in with
Your question

Issues with ATI drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2008 3:28:17 AM

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but here is my problem that I have not found the solution to anywhere. I just bought a RADEON HD 4670 and put it in my computer, following all the steps and so on. I installed the drivers on the CD which came with CCC 8.8, but the manual suggested looking for updates. So I go to the ati website and download version 8.9 and attempt to install it only to get this message "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system." I looked this up and found that you must completely uninstall the old version before updating, so I did that and tried again only to get the same message. I tried the other way suggested too, by using the drivecleaner to remove all traces of it and tried again. Still no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Also, some people maybe just say to stay with 8.8 but with that I have been noticing that after a while of running CCC I get the "has encountered an error and must close" box. Apparently I did something wrong to cause this to happen and any help would be appreciated. thanks.

More about : issues ati drivers

September 27, 2008 3:30:39 AM

Well no reason to really go from 8.8 to 8.9. So I susgest using the disk and put 8.8 back on there, and holding off until 9.0. The CCC "crashing" happens to me to, its not a big deal, the driver and the card continue to work fine.
September 27, 2008 3:38:38 AM

Ok thanks, so does CCC even need to be open at all? like if it crashes can I just leave it closed? Also another dumb question. Before I switched graphics cards, whatever version of CCC I had showed the temp of the GPU. However on version 8.8 I cannot find it for the life of me, instead it shows a meter of GPU usage which does not help me tell if it is overheating.
Related resources
September 27, 2008 3:43:35 AM

Well, its what it says it is, control center. Its not the driver itself its just control/setup software. So unless you need to be accessing it constantly then no. But its still good to have running for profiles if you ever use them.
September 27, 2008 3:44:35 AM

And is there a way to check the temp of the card?
September 27, 2008 3:49:47 AM

ugh sorry to bother again but for the weekend I wont have the install CD. So I tried downloading the 8.8 drivers and im getting the same message. Apparently the CD is doing something different that the downloaded package is. I need a graphics card this weekend!
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 27, 2008 4:03:17 AM

Try downloading the drivers and utilities from your manufacturers website rather than the ATI website. I use the 8.8s and I don't have any problems with CCC, but then I'm using a 3850. If you had an onboard video or nVidia card before make sure you properly uninstalled those drivers.
September 27, 2008 4:19:14 AM

Manufacturer offers the same 8.9 file as ati, which gives me the error message.
September 27, 2008 4:25:10 AM

Try using Driver Sweeper, Driver Cleaner is a little long in the tooth and may not get all the files. I haven't used it yet, but Dagger says it works.

CCC doesn't even need to be on your computer. I don't even load it, I just load the drivers. IMO it is unstable pigsh|t, I'm sure others don't agree.

Try RivaTuner Version 2.11 and see how it performs.
September 27, 2008 4:44:10 AM

Ok I used Driver Sweeper in safe mode and got rid of all the leftover stuff. Tried installing 8.9 and im still getting the same error message =( help me!!
September 27, 2008 4:52:47 AM

At this point I dont even care what drivers I get installed, but both 8.8 and 8.9 are not working (getting the same error message upon install) even for just the drivers.
September 27, 2008 4:57:19 AM

Vista or XP?
September 27, 2008 4:59:11 AM

did you make sure you picked the right OS and series of card for the driver picker thingy at ati?
September 27, 2008 5:05:20 AM

See that was where there was a confusion. I picked the right OS, (I have windows XP professional so I'm going to assume the 32 bit one is what I have) but the 4600 series is not even listen on ati's site. I checked a bunch of the other series' and they all lead to the 8.9 download. But that cant be the problem because I went to the manufacturer's site and they had it listed, and those drivers do not work either. Unless windows xp professional is not 32 bit?
September 27, 2008 5:10:58 AM

I try to not install the .net stuff needed by ati drivers if I don't need it.
September 27, 2008 5:16:43 AM

I have 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 Net framework on my add/remove 2.0 was installed by ati
September 27, 2008 5:20:26 AM

You might have the 64 bit version , but you're right that series isn't listed on ati's site. What's the manufacturers site?

September 27, 2008 5:28:33 AM

its http://www.sapphiretech.com/ which gave me the same file as ATI's site (same size and name).

Under my computer it says Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002
September 27, 2008 5:32:59 AM

have you tried both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the driver on Sappires's site?
September 27, 2008 5:36:51 AM

yea I just tried the 64 bit version and It told me I had the wrong operating system
September 27, 2008 6:14:06 AM

Please help, this brand new card is useless until I figure this out.
September 27, 2008 3:56:25 PM

Well, i re-read your first post . Ok, do you remember the names of the drivers you got rid of when you uninstalled 8.8 ( from the cd) ?
September 27, 2008 5:33:44 PM

I just uninstalled the items from the add/remove section of control panel that had to do with ATI, (uninstaller, drivers, CCC)
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2008 5:56:10 PM

Just get Driver Cleaner Pro and uninstall all ATI related stuff.

After that, reboot your system.

Once it's rebooted, install Catalyst 8.8.

If you have .Net Framework 2.0+ installed, then CCC should work fine. If not, download Ati Tray Tools and forget about CCC :p 

Esop!
September 27, 2008 6:33:34 PM

Ive done that too Yuka and I still get the error message but at the moment something is working. I drive cleaned and when windows asked to find new hardware I did that and it installed some radeon drives, then i updated them and installed CCC 8.9 seperately. Now I have no idea what drivers I actually have installed, so is there any way to check which ones I have?
September 27, 2008 6:33:42 PM

Ive done that too Yuka and I still get the error message but at the moment something is working. I drive cleaned and when windows asked to find new hardware I did that and it installed some radeon drives, then i updated them and installed CCC 8.9 seperately. Now I have no idea what drivers I actually have installed, so is there any way to check which ones I have?
September 27, 2008 7:38:09 PM

The RivaTuner I linked above, or device manager.
September 27, 2008 10:19:00 PM

apparently its version 8.5, dont know how windows can do it and the CD can do it but I cant. sighh
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2008 10:29:42 PM

Use Driver Cleaner to remove all those things again.

Check this link: Previous Radeon Drivers

That's the 8.8 for XP Pro. Just download the Drivers and not the CCC. Erase all the other things you downloaded just to be sure before downloading this one. After the drivers are installed, try some games. They should work and all.

Anyway, I'm kinda interested in finding wich exact Service Pack you have on your Windows install... If you have "Windows Professional SP2" you should be good, but if you have SP1 or even lesser, no driver is going to work fine for you IMO. Can't assure that, but everything seems to point that.

Esop!

EDIT: Little error in typo.
September 27, 2008 11:26:16 PM

I have SP2 but ill try that and report back
September 28, 2008 4:16:56 AM

If it is working properly then leave it alone, unless you like the aggravation.
September 28, 2008 6:11:38 AM

yea ill just leave it hah, at this point of just so boggled as to why I am getting these error messages when trying to update that i almost NEEd to know
!