Issues with ATI drivers

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but here is my problem that I have not found the solution to anywhere. I just bought a RADEON HD 4670 and put it in my computer, following all the steps and so on. I installed the drivers on the CD which came with CCC 8.8, but the manual suggested looking for updates. So I go to the ati website and download version 8.9 and attempt to install it only to get this message "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system." I looked this up and found that you must completely uninstall the old version before updating, so I did that and tried again only to get the same message. I tried the other way suggested too, by using the drivecleaner to remove all traces of it and tried again. Still no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Also, some people maybe just say to stay with 8.8 but with that I have been noticing that after a while of running CCC I get the "has encountered an error and must close" box. Apparently I did something wrong to cause this to happen and any help would be appreciated. thanks.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well no reason to really go from 8.8 to 8.9. So I susgest using the disk and put 8.8 back on there, and holding off until 9.0. The CCC "crashing" happens to me to, its not a big deal, the driver and the card continue to work fine.

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Ok thanks, so does CCC even need to be open at all? like if it crashes can I just leave it closed? Also another dumb question. Before I switched graphics cards, whatever version of CCC I had showed the temp of the GPU. However on version 8.8 I cannot find it for the life of me, instead it shows a meter of GPU usage which does not help me tell if it is overheating.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, its what it says it is, control center. Its not the driver itself its just control/setup software. So unless you need to be accessing it constantly then no. But its still good to have running for profiles if you ever use them.

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
ugh sorry to bother again but for the weekend I wont have the install CD. So I tried downloading the 8.8 drivers and im getting the same message. Apparently the CD is doing something different that the downloaded package is. I need a graphics card this weekend!

Try downloading the drivers and utilities from your manufacturers website rather than the ATI website. I use the 8.8s and I don't have any problems with CCC, but then I'm using a 3850. If you had an onboard video or nVidia card before make sure you properly uninstalled those drivers.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Try using Driver Sweeper, Driver Cleaner is a little long in the tooth and may not get all the files. I haven't used it yet, but Dagger says it works.

CCC doesn't even need to be on your computer. I don't even load it, I just load the drivers. IMO it is unstable pigsh|t, I'm sure others don't agree.

Try RivaTuner Version 2.11 and see how it performs.

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Ok I used Driver Sweeper in safe mode and got rid of all the leftover stuff. Tried installing 8.9 and im still getting the same error message =( help me!!

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
At this point I dont even care what drivers I get installed, but both 8.8 and 8.9 are not working (getting the same error message upon install) even for just the drivers.

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
See that was where there was a confusion. I picked the right OS, (I have windows XP professional so I'm going to assume the 32 bit one is what I have) but the 4600 series is not even listen on ati's site. I checked a bunch of the other series' and they all lead to the 8.9 download. But that cant be the problem because I went to the manufacturer's site and they had it listed, and those drivers do not work either. Unless windows xp professional is not 32 bit?

wolfwood77

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
You might have the 64 bit version , but you're right that series isn't listed on ati's site. What's the manufacturers site?

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
its http://www.sapphiretech.com/ which gave me the same file as ATI's site (same size and name).

Under my computer it says Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002

wolfwood77

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Well, i re-read your first post . Ok, do you remember the names of the drivers you got rid of when you uninstalled 8.8 ( from the cd) ?

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I just uninstalled the items from the add/remove section of control panel that had to do with ATI, (uninstaller, drivers, CCC)

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Ive done that too Yuka and I still get the error message but at the moment something is working. I drive cleaned and when windows asked to find new hardware I did that and it installed some radeon drives, then i updated them and installed CCC 8.9 seperately. Now I have no idea what drivers I actually have installed, so is there any way to check which ones I have?