should i be worried about burn-in?

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hey everyone, just wanting to know since i use my hdtv as a monitor should i worry about burn-in? the start bar is always at the bottom of the screen and it doesnt move or anything. my hdtv is 26" sanyo lcd, i just started using it as a monitor today and the hdtv is at least 4 months old. i heard that lcd's arent as susceptible to burn-in as plasma's are. i know your arent supposed to leave any still images on your hdtv for long times during the first 100 hours of turning it on the first time (after you buy and unbox) i know for sure it has been used for more than 100 hours. so should i worry? the monitor that came with my pc doesnt have any burn in and it had the start bar when i first turned it on and still no burn-in image but thats a monitor not a hdtv. so is it ok to use my hdtv?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's hard to say. Burn in depends on individual models. All the Dell lcd monitors where I work has the faint blue bar and cloud patterns from the wallpaper. The "screen burn" is pretty bad. That's Dell for you. The LG monitor at home suffers from no such problems.

With monitors, you can always search online and see if other people get the problem. But TV is much harder as fewer people use it as a monitor.

The easy solution is just using screensaver.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well LCD's dont burn in permanent, but some do burn in temporary. If it does you can watcch TV for a long period of time and it will fix itself. Some LCD crystals use some type of memory so you get a burn in effect.

It happens on my 42" Vizio but after I watch TV all is well again.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
ok thanks roadrunner, ill watch out. i knew that lcd wasnt as bad as plasma (permanent) but thanks again. using 26" to play games is way better than 19". peace

No worries :)
I got a lot of help from others when i first got into computers and like to help where i can. To be honest im all over the place as far as organisation goes and its finding the links again that takes the time :lol:

Mactronix