Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking Phenom II X4 945 95w. Are these temperatures normal?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 23, 2009 5:00:25 AM

Hi there,

I've been trying to find a good overclocking configuration for my new Phenom II X4 Deneb 945 3.0GHz 95w and am currently about twenty hours into stress-testing with Prime95 (blend) without any crashes using the following parameters:

FSB: 240
CPU: 3480 MHz (x14.5)
CPU voltage: 1.375
Hypertransport MHz: 1920 (x8)
Memory: 1599 MHz (x6.66)

Motherboard is GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, memory is Corsair CMD4GX3M2B1600C8.

The only thing I'm not super pleased with are the temperatures. I put an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 with MX-2 thermal paste and pointed the cooler fan toward my Antec 902 case top fan, which I've been told is a good idea since it helps move hot air quickly out of the case, and I'm getting between 56-57 degrees celsius with Prime95 running. Is this a normal temperature for my setup?

I'm asking because I can get the CPU to run at 3600 MHz at the full x15 multiplier with about an extra 0.1 volts, but it gets my Prime95 temp up to as high as 69 celsius which is way too close to the 945 95w safe operating maximum for me. Is there anything I might be able to do to push the temperatures down further?

Thanks! Nir
November 23, 2009 5:20:53 AM

56-57 celsius is NOTHING to worry about especially after 20 hours of stress testing. After finishing with the blend test do the other test (I forgot the name) but its the one that stresses mostly cpu and not the ram, Check your tempertures then, Anything under 60c is perfectly fine, People like to see their temps really low and stuff but in reality a cpu is still really safe even when at 70c.
m
l
November 23, 2009 5:25:33 AM

Whoa sorry I read your post alittle too fast and skipped the final parts where you said it can reach up to 69c, Woo yea thats a little too hott Im not sure why its that high. But hmm you said you have a Phenom II X4 with a Arctic Cooling Freezer *7* ??. Thats the intel cooler, The AMD version should be the arctic cooling freezer *64*. Make sure thats the right cooler your using, If it is the 64 that you have then the only thing I can come up with is to remove your CPU and heatsink, whipe off the thermal paste and re-apply it by not putting too little or too much. About a month ago my phenom ii x2 was reaching that exact same temp 69c under prime95, after i re-applied the thermal it went back to normal topping out at 55c. good luck
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2009 11:38:06 PM

Hi jrams116,

I'm using a Freezer 7 Rev. 2 which has AM2/AM3 attachments. It sits perfectly fine on the CPU. I've resolved to keep the computer at overclocking configuration I listed, since the extra 3.5% performance at 3600MhZ isn't worth the extra heat for me. If I come across a way to make things significantly cooler I might try it out, but for now I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks for your help!
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2009 3:15:59 AM

Something to keep in mind is its highly unlikely your computer will ever reach the temps it does when running the prime 95 stress test. Before you completely panic about the temps try using your computer for what you would use it for normally, like gaming or whatever and see what the temps actually get to. Then go from there.

Paul
November 24, 2009 3:04:15 PM

nirslsk said:
Hi jrams116,

I'm using a Freezer 7 Rev. 2 which has AM2/AM3 attachments. It sits perfectly fine on the CPU. I've resolved to keep the computer at overclocking configuration I listed, since the extra 3.5% performance at 3600MhZ isn't worth the extra heat for me. If I come across a way to make things significantly cooler I might try it out, but for now I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks for your help!

3.5%? You must be wrong. When I did my processor from 3.2ghz to 3.8ghz 955BE here, It increased my speeds in Super Pi by 10%. You have to remember that when you raise the temps on a quad core setup like this you may not get the the total effects of raising the operating frequency on 4 cores by say 600mhz for me. Especially if a program only uses 1 or 2. Though you'll feel it in synthetic benchmarking. But, it all depends what you're doing ya know...

Has anyone ever tried disabling cores on a quad core processor and trying to overclock it? That'd be an idea. Less heat and you can still get benefits from games that only use a single core? I dunno, I think I'm having a retard moment...
m
l
November 24, 2009 3:09:18 PM

Hey man we should compare benches and match system specs as best we can and see how close the 955BE and 945 are at 3.6ghz
Anyone with a 965 out there want to compare @ 3.8ghz

Course it'll take me some time to figure out how to get it that stable at that speed again. Lost my overclock in multiple bios flashes..
m
l
November 25, 2009 2:35:54 AM

@Paul: This is good advice, thank you. I was a little worried about Dragon Age, that game hits all four cores pretty hard at times and I thought it might result in similar temperatures. It doesn't. Temperatures hover at around 53 when I play. Seeing as it's the the most demanding application on my PC at this time I have no reason to worry. I'm even trying to bring the voltages down a little, 0.025v at a time. I got some rare crashes with Prime95 with the CPU running on anything under 1.475v, but I'm curious to see if I'm going to get any crashes during normal use. The first time I get one I'll start climbing back up again at 0.025v increments.

@Gixbit: I meant 3.5% difference between 3600MHz and 3840MHz, the latter being a really stable speed that didn't generate too much heat even with Prime95. As I implied above however temperatures during actual use don't differ that much.

As for disabling two of the cores, might be an interesting idea for some people. The last two games I played, Borderlands and Dragon Age, both used all four cores.

I'd be happy to compare my performance to your 955BE, this sounds very interesting. What test would you like me to run?

Thanks, Nir
m
l
November 25, 2009 1:21:19 PM

Hmmm, Well, Now that I know what speeds you're trying to push I will attempt to match but, I want to match everything as close as I can..

So that means I'll have to adjust my bus speed a bit...

Well, first what timings and settings do you have. We need to stick to cpu/memory tests. Your ram is slightly faster as well. So that may handicap me a bit. But, mainly what I want to see is if there's an actual difference between the 945 955 and 965.

Everyone says they're just different multipliers.. Even the one review on toms hardware shits on the 955BE but, they never once compared them at the same speeds. Plus this might be handy for someone down the road.

I say we do some Super Pi and anything else you can think of. I would say we're pretty close except for the ram timings...
m
l
November 25, 2009 1:23:08 PM

BTW that is NOT the video card in my pc :p 

EDIT: If you saw my CPUZ dump that is...

EDITx2: And those ram timings were after the fact that I left them on auto while doing some overclocking. Yes, I know that was retarded of me.
m
l
November 26, 2009 2:45:23 AM

Hi Gixbit,

I ran the 32M calculation in Super PI, which completed in 19m16s. I also ran PeformanceTest 7 (64 bit) CPU and memory tests. My CPU rating is reported as 4873.7, memory rating is 1016.3. I'd be interested to know what your results are at 3.6GHz.

Cheers, Nir
m
l
November 26, 2009 3:16:40 PM

I'll grab those results for you shortly. I'm glad you suggested 3.6ghz because I haven't had a chance to start this up yet where I've been busy but, I think I can raise 3.6ghz long enough to do these tests.
m
l
November 27, 2009 12:28:04 AM

Just a suggestion you might want to consider changing your timings on your ram as well. Since that might actually make it harder to compare.
m
l
November 27, 2009 9:55:34 AM

Actually, tell me every detail of your setup for voltages and multipliers also try to change those mem timings.

I did do super pi yesterday but, I was way off from the score you talked about. Unless the CPU was choking or whatever I will try it again in a while when I have some time
m
l
November 28, 2009 4:04:20 PM

Hi Gixbit,

I changed my timings to 9-11-11-29 and SuperPI finished in 19m32s. Maybe you should try something like PassMark PerformanceTest 7 and test the CPU independently of all the other components.

This is most of the information I could gather from my BIOS about clocks and voltages after changing back to original memory timings:

CPU clock ratio: x15 3600MHz
CPU NorthBridge Freq: 2160MHz
Front Side Bus: 240MHz
HyperTransport Freq: 2160MHz

Memory configuration:

Memory Clock: x6.66 1599MHz
DCTs Mode: Unganged
DCT channel interleave: Enabled
CAS latency: 8T
RAS to CAS R/w Delay: 8T
Row Precharge Time: 8T
Minimum RAS Active Time: 24T
1T/2T Command Timing: 2T
TwTr Command Delay: 5T
TRfc0/2/1/3 for DIMMS 1/2/3/4: 110ns
Write Recovery Time: 10T
Precharge Time: 5T
Row Cycle Time: 34T
RAS to RAS Delay: 5T

Voltages:

DDR3 voltage: 1.95v (manually added +0.35 from 1.6v)
SB/HT voltage: 1.2v (normal)
NB/PCIe/PLL voltage: 1.8v (normal)
CPU PLL voltage: 2.5v (normal)
DDR VTT voltage: 0.8v (normal)
NB voltage: 1.1v (normal)
CPU NB VID: 1.275 (normal)
CPU voltage: 1.4v (manually added +0.125 from 1.275v)

Good luck, Nir
m
l
December 4, 2009 11:05:01 AM

I have just 720, but after reaching 3.8ghz my temp never passed 62C
standard working 3.4 Ghz max temperature is 45-47C

My NB temperature tho is crazy 60C (while CPU is 40) is to much for me.

m
l
December 4, 2009 3:41:36 PM

You dont change the CPU VID?
m
l
December 7, 2009 7:52:37 AM

I had read in some places that the NorthBridge frequency (which I understand is what the CPU VID voltage relates to?) is most stable at 2GHz, but after you mentioned it I did some more research and found advice that the NorthBridge frequency should be raised to accommodate the overclocked CPU. 2400Mhz for the NorthBridge is the highest I got without any crashes (I also adjusted the HyperTransport to 2400Mhz to match). This shaved a little over 40 seconds from SuperPi 32M (now at 18m29s). CPU NB VID voltage did not need to be modified.

I even tried further overclocking the CPU and got as high as 3.75Ghz, but couldn't get it to remain stable even at 1.5v which is as high as I'm comfortable pushing my 945 to. What I did discover as I was raising the FSB is that I could get the same performance with a higher FSB and a lower multiplier at cooler temperatures. Idle CPU temperature dropped from 36-37 to 31-32 after changing FSB from 240 to 300 and reducing multiplier from 15 to 12 . I'm quite pleased.

Below is my new CPU-Z banner.

m
l
December 11, 2009 2:13:15 PM

I actually bought the same ram as you only its not the BEMP addition its the regular ***. So Ill try it again with that new ***. It was good ram so I figured I'd get some myself.
m
l
December 12, 2009 6:07:58 PM

Yea the difference is the B and the A

CMD4GX3M2A1600C8
CMD4GX3M2B1600C8

The difference is like $50 of course I never looked for a better price but, I dont think its worth it but thats opinions. It probably does support it though.

Thanks, and when I get it i'll redo the tests and tell you how it goes. I gotta say though Im not really impressed with GSkill's Tech support or their ram. Not like I am with Corsair. They're a fair honest company, more opinions. They did give me a replacement PSU if its brand new or not I dont know but this one works.

Either way I'm pretty happy with this purchase. Hopefully it will work out for me too.
m
l
June 24, 2010 11:41:03 AM

Hi I am new here. I am trying to overclock my amd 945 too but can't figure out which version I have (95 w or 125 w). Does it make a difference? Is it safe to change my bios settings exactly the same as the settings which are posted by nirslsk below?

Memory configuration:

Voltages:

My Motherboard is a gigabyte ma 770 ud3. Do I have to change ram settings too? I have 8gb of ddr2 corsair with no idea about the timings and am afraid to. Just yesterday I increased the ram MHZ from BIOS and upped the frequency to 1033 from 800 mhz. The pc failed to boot and I had to clear cmos by removing the on board battery. So tempering with ram settings I think is a bit of an sensitive job I think.

I really need your professional help here guys please. I was so stupid to get 8GB of DDR2 ram!!! :fou:  What do you recommend as settings to improve on performance? I have recently installed a new coolermaster hyper N520 cpu cooler with arctic silver 5 thermal pest and have sufficient air flow in the case. It sounds like a mini power station when its on. Cheers!!! :o 
m
l
September 24, 2011 2:24:14 PM

I actually have the same CPU with the coolermaster v6, the ram I have is the ddr2 kingston hyperX 1 800mhz x 4 reaching at 8 gigs. .. I am trying to figure out what can be my max settings for overclocking this beast. My motherboard is a gigabyte 785g ma.

borgandre said:
Hi I am new here. I am trying to overclock my amd 945 too but can't figure out which version I have (95 w or 125 w). Does it make a difference? Is it safe to change my bios settings exactly the same as the settings which are posted by nirslsk below?

Memory configuration:

Voltages:

My Motherboard is a gigabyte ma 770 ud3. Do I have to change ram settings too? I have 8gb of ddr2 corsair with no idea about the timings and am afraid to. Just yesterday I increased the ram MHZ from BIOS and upped the frequency to 1033 from 800 mhz. The pc failed to boot and I had to clear cmos by removing the on board battery. So tempering with ram settings I think is a bit of an sensitive job I think.

I really need your professional help here guys please. I was so stupid to get 8GB of DDR2 ram!!! :fou:  What do you recommend as settings to improve on performance? I have recently installed a new coolermaster hyper N520 cpu cooler with arctic silver 5 thermal pest and have sufficient air flow in the case. It sounds like a mini power station when its on. Cheers!!! :o 

m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2011 12:40:12 PM

@ da funk dude: You should start a new thread if you have any OC questions.

By dropping your memory divider to 3.33, you should be able to to set the system clock at 240MHz -- then it's a simple matter of adjusting a few settings and working the CPU multiplier.

PhII 945s appear to max around 3.5-3.6GHz.
m
l
!