pegas

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Does my computer suck and how could I make it better? I think the only way is to get a new one (((((

PSU: Thermaltake black widow 850w
CPU: AMD phenom quad core 9550 (2.2Ghz)
Motherboard: Foxconn (Bengal) RS780 Motherboard
RAM: 6Gb DDR2
GPU: 8500Gt (but I want to get -ATI 4850 515Mb- )

Good response by jitpublisher. My computer "sucks" worse than yours, but I'm not a gamer, just a smart shopper waiting to stand in line at Fry's next black friday. It's only days away. And by the way, if you don't have any money to upgrade, I wouldn't do it right now, or use any credit cards. I just got laid off. Fortunately, I've saved a small fortune over the years, so I can afford to spend on black friday. Been through one layoff before at big blue.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
All you really need to make a pretty damn good machine is a new Graphics card (if you want to game). Otherwise its a far better machine than most people own.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Aragorn +1, Pegas if you replace your current VC with the one you are wanting I think that you be impressed at the improvement. You might look at the ram. Do you have 3 mods of 2gb mem? It isn't that big a deal but 3 mods of ddr2 won't run at ddr2. They are designed to run in pairs. You could also replace the cpu with a 9950be and push it up over 3+ghz with proper cooling.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
if you play crysis all the time, then its time to change.
but probably not, i say your system is good enough.
if you can spend around $300 or more for a video card, i say to wait for directx 11 cards next year.
during that time, AMD Deneb are out or core i7 motherboards and DDR3 could be come significantly cheaper.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Yourm comp is fine, like others have said, make sure your ram is in pairs for dual channel mode and get a better gfx card if you want to play the latest games.

I've got a 4850 with a much older (and slower) 939 4800 cpu with only 2gb and it can still keep up with everything I throw at it including Crysis. I will upgrade when the i7 get cheaper though but only cause I do a lot of video encoding

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
funny response SoiledBottom. But as far as your computer pegas it depends on what you are doing. If you are into surfing the web, checking email and playing peggle than keep on rolling. If you are into doing heavy duty video editing, playing crysis etc. than not so much. You can't just ask if your computer is good or not without knowing what you will use it for.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, so the CPU isn't the latest and greatest from AMD and the motherboard isn't the best, but the computer doesn't suck. With a good heatsink, it should still overclock slightly, if that's what you'd like to do. The 6 gig of ram is probably hurting the performance a little bit, and unless you're running a lot of programs that really use the whole 6 gig, you would probably be better off dropping to a 4 gig (2x2 gig) setup. As others have noted, a better video card would do wonders. As for those who have better computers, so what? Set aside the wow factor that comes from seeing those people have better setups and you'll find that you have a computer that is really better that 90% or so of the people who use computers. Check out the listings of people's equipment at Steam. Lots of people are still using AMD 939 machines or their Intel equivalent. So don't feel so bad. You may not have the best computer on the block, but you have a good one.

pegas

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
o_O Thanks for all the answers. Yeas, I'm a kind of gamer. My ram is 2x2Gb and 1x1Gb and all of them are ddr2. Are they running in ddr2 ? And about my processor, I guess I'm very limited 'cuz I can't get another one 'cuz of my motherboard. And I'm limited in my GPU, cuz my processor doesn't let all of those high-end video cards to run at their full potential. For example I wanted to buy ATI 4870x2 2Gb, but with my CPU it wouldn't work at full potential.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

If you have DDR 2 then you are "running in DDR2" It is not possible to get DDR2 sticks to run like DDR1 or DDR3 if that's what you mean. As far as your CPU you should be able to move up to the 9750 running at 2.4 GHz. That won't give you much of a boost but it is something. As I've posted before in this thread if you are using this computer for light duty tasks then you are fine. If you plan to do heavy duty tasks then look elswhere.

Kari

Splendid
ookay topper has DDR2 messed up with dualchannel...
DDR is physically and electrically different from DDR2. In dualchannel mode the comp uses two or four sticks in parallel. You can run DDR in dualchannel mode on mobos that support it or DDR2/3 in single channel if you dont have even number of memory modules. The OP probably has 2*2gig and 2*1gig (total of 6gig as saind in the opening post) in dualchannel configuration, so 3 gigs per channel. (or it should be)

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
topper I'm not sure why you are quoting wikipedia since it is such an unreliable source but if you want to know more about the differences between DDR1 and DDR2 I suggest you get your information from a more reliable source. You can even download the specification from Jedec (www.jedec.org) which will tell you everything you can possible want to know about the memory standards. What I can tell you is DDR2 is DDR2 it is not DDR1 or DDR3 or any other memory. It has different amount of pins, it is electronically different, and the pinouts are different as Kari already pointed out.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Kari is correct to allude to channeling of memory bandwidth, while not precisely stating the single and double channel operation of memory modules. When installed in Pairs DDR2 will run as dual channel at 128bit, installed as singles they run in single channel and at the 64 bit data rate. No one is saying anything about pin outs; the material thing is the bandwidth and throughput. Anyone quoting Jedec should go there and see what they are quoting. http://www.jedec.org/download/search/JESD208.pdf

Other info-
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=357&Itemid=0

http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3773

"While DDR has a limited clock rate, the evolutionary changes to DDR architecture enable DDR2 to achieve speeds beyond that of DDR, delivering bandwidth of 5.3 GB per second and beyond! Because DDR2 is able to operate with faster bus speeds, your memory doesn't hold back the performance of your processor."

Yes from wiki argue with their grammar not their math, easily digestable for genY:
“Computation
Theoretical maximum memory bandwidth is typically computed by multiplying the width of the interface by the frequency at which it transfers data. This is also referred to as the burst rate of the interface, in recognition of the possibility that this rate may not be sustainable over long periods (i.e., the throughput may be less than the theoretical maximum memory bandwidth).

The nomenclature standards often differ across memory technologies, but for commodity DDR SDRAM and DDR2 SDRAM memory the computation is:

Base DRAM frequency in MHz
Memory bus width. Each DDR or DDR2 memory bus is 64 bits wide.
Number of interfaces. Current computers typically use two memory buses in dual-channel mode for an effective 128-bit bus.
Number of bits per clock cycle. This is "2" for both these "dual data rate" technologies.
So a recent computer system with a dual-channel configuration and two DDR2-800 modules, each running at 400 MHz (actual bus speed, which is half of the nominal speed of 800 MHz, but in DDR2 is twice the memory's actual clock of 200 MHz), would have a theoretical maximum memory bandwidth of:

(400 MHz) * (2 interfaces) * (64 bits/interface) * (2 bits / s) = 102,400 Mbit/s, or 12,800 MB/s, or 12.8 GB/s.

The naming conventions of DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 modules typically cite a nominal MHz rating (e.g. DDR2-1066) which is not the bus speed or memory speed, but the number of transfers possible per second, and an additional nominal rating of the maximum throughput of the module (e.g. DDR2-800 is also called PC2-6400) which reflects the megabytes per second the module can theoretically transfer. So with this in mind, the above computation can be simplified as having two PC2-6400 modules in a dual-channel 128-bit configuration, or 2 * 6400 MB/s.

As of 2007, advanced personal computers and graphics cards use even more combined buses than dual-channel, and combine four (e.g. Mac Pro), five (e.g. nVidia 8800GTS), six (e.g. nVidia 8800GTX) or more sets of 64-bit memory modules and buses to reach 256-bit, 320-bit, 384-bit or greater total memory bandwidth.”

If DDR2 mods are not placed in pairs of like type the mods will not operate in dual channel 128 bit rate but at a single channel rate 64 bit rate. They are made to operate this way. The single channel amounts to the bandwidth and throughput of DDR.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Question 1: Why did you get a Phenom(enal phailure..)
Question 2: Why did you get an 850W psu?
Question 3: Why did you get 6GB of RAM
Question 4: Why did you get an 8500GT.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
^ Calm down budget boy

OP you have the upgraded version of my chip and i find i can handle most things on high.

One question, at no point do you state your Operating System.
If you are using a 32 bit system (XP or.....Vista x86) then all that RAM will not be seen.
From memory its max of 3.4MB (Capital B! :p ) minus your GPU memory.

My friend has a 8500GT and cant go outside Vaault 101 in Fallout 3 :DDefo get a 4850, i recommend Powercolor 512MB.

Mainboards cool, should last you.

PSU is WAAAAAAY too much, half that and you will still have enough juice.