3850 AGP video stutter

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I just purchased a Powercolor HD3850 AGP Video card, it plays games and renders 3d wonderfully. However when it plays full screen video its like I have a 10 year old video card, it stutters, stops and lags. Even on something like the opening video of Warhammer online looks like a sideshow, but the game runs well. I can run Crysis at a decent frame rate, but when I go to watch Lost online full screen its like watching a slide show. When the video is not full screen it runs fine.

Has anyone else had this type of problem??

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Likely software codecs problem, possibly cpu bottlenecking. If you installed too many versions of codecs to decode the same compression type, and they try to run at the same time, the conflict can cause screen lag. Older cpus hit 100% when trying to decode highly compressed high definition video (x264, etc). Graphics card do not do the decompression calculations, so it's not the problem.

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Thank you for your response, the CPU utilization does get high, but it does not peg at 100%, I just upgraded the CPU to one somone gave me, a AMD 3800 X2. Also this is a fresh install of the OS. What should I do?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

If it's a fresh install, that rules out codecs conflicting. And cpu load should be fine as long as it doesn't hit 100%.

Try this:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

What OS?
Are both cores working with your new CPU?
Do you have 2 graphs in the task manager and 2 CPU's showing in your device manager?
Did you download and install the AMD dual core optimizer if you are not running Vista? (Vista does not need this)

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I have not installed any optimizer, I will look for it and download it, as I am not running vista. The OS does see both cores.

I downloaded FFDShow and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

Just so you know what I am using as my test, ABC has an HD stream of most of their programs, when I use that in windowed mode it works fine, when it goes to full screen it stutters.

http://fep.abc.go.com/fep/player?src=abccomjs&pn=index

Hmmm. I installed the ABC program and it worked perfectly, full screen looks very nice. I am running a 4600X2, and an 8800gts, though for this program I doubt the 8800 would be any better than your 3850. I am guessing maybe processor lag......???
Can you try overclocking your processor slightly and see if it helps at all?

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I only have the stock cooler, when it peeks the proc runs at about 46 degrees and about 37-39 degrees idle... is that going to be safe to overclock? How much should I bump it up?

Also I found something interesting, I ran 3dMark06 and the GPU tests seemed fine, but when it got to the CPU test its like I had a 10 year old PC it was not even getting to 1 fps.

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I just ran a CPU test and it seems to be performing far below where the baseline of the CPU is supposed to be

In 3dmark 06, about 1 fps in the cpu test is all you are going to get. It is a very, very intensive test. My 4600X2 clocked at 2.8ghz will only manage about 2 sometimes barely hitting 3 fps.
Make sure your board has correctly identifies and sets the buss speeds and mulitplier for the processor.

gihzmo

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I attempted to overclock the CPU to 2.1GHz by taking the clock speed from 200 to 210, and when I booted up the PC did nothing and I had to take out the CMOS battery to get it to start back up.. am I doing something wrong?