I can't push the Bclk to more than 190. help?

Hey guys, I've asked you this question before but no suggestions worked. currently my i7 920 D0 is running at a bclk of 190 and with speed step its at 3.997 GHz. My temps are low (~24C idle, ~63C 100% load for a while). my system right now is very stable and I've had no problems, but when I up the bclk it freezes when it say starting windows. and its stuck for hours, but it never crashes. Ive tried boosting the Vcore and the QPI voltage, but nothing is succesful.

My current voltages:
dimm 1.65V
Vcore 1.325V
PLL 1.875V( I tried 1.8 too)
ICH and IOH 1.2V (I tried the defalts as well)
QPI 1.4V (i tried everything from 1.1)

Thanks guys! please help me! I know I can go higher but it won't let me.
42 answers Last reply
More about push bclk help
  1. Has your memory reached its limit?

    Have your tried a pci-e bump up?
  2. the mem is below stock[by only about 88mhz)(corsair dominator 1600mhz C8) and timings are at default.
  3. When I have the bclk at 200 my mem runs at spec.
  4. And how much of a pci bump? I have a 5870 and I'm worried what it might do to it.
  5. My current I7 920 D0 setup on an Asus P6T deluxe V2, Corsair 7-7-7-20 1.65 volt ram 3x2GB, 1100 watt PS.

    Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting 20
    Intel SpeedStep Tech Disabled
    BCLK Frequency 200
    DRAM Frequency DDR3-1603MHz
    UCLK Frequency 3208 MHz
    QPI Link Data Rate 7218 MT/s
    CPU Voltage 1.31250
    CPU PLL Voltage 1.90
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.35
    DRAM Bus Voltage 1.64
    CPU Differential Amplitude 1000mV
    ________________________
    DRAM CAS# Latency 7
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 7
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time 7
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time 20
    ________________________

    This system is rock stable for my setup. It runs Prime 95 for 24hrs with no errors and has run Seti for the last 2 months with no crashes.
  6. snowdude1492 said:
    And how much of a pci bump? I have a 5870 and I'm worried what it might do to it.


    You usually only need a pci-e bump up when pushing 220b-clock, but you could try it. Just try setting it to 101mhz.
  7. thanks, if that doesn't work should I try 102 or is that too high?
  8. ahnilated said:
    My current I7 920 D0 setup on an Asus P6T deluxe V2, Corsair 7-7-7-20 1.65 volt ram 3x2GB, 1100 watt PS.

    Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting 20
    Intel SpeedStep Tech Disabled
    BCLK Frequency 200
    DRAM Frequency DDR3-1603MHz
    UCLK Frequency 3208 MHz
    QPI Link Data Rate 7218 MT/s
    CPU Voltage 1.31250
    CPU PLL Voltage 1.90
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.35
    DRAM Bus Voltage 1.64
    CPU Differential Amplitude 1000mV
    ________________________
    DRAM CAS# Latency 7
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 7
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time 7
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time 20
    ________________________


    This system is rock stable for my setup. It runs Prime 95 for 24hrs with no errors and has run Seti for the last 2 months with no crashes.



    "UCLK Frequency 3208 MHz "

    Wow, isn't that super low?
  9. PS, how do you copy all of your bio's settings? so that I can paste mine :) to try and help
  10. idk. But i've tried other's settings and they don't help. But its worth another shot.
  11. I tried bumping the PCI to 101 and it didn't work. It gave me a blue screen while booting until I bumped the QPI to 1.425V and the Vcore to 1.3375. and then it did the same as before.
    :(
    does this mean my i7 is faulty or the one of a milion that can't make 4 ghz?
  12. You have a lot of room to up your CPU voltage...keep it under 1.4, but try upping that some. If your board has auto setting you might raise the bclk to 200, leave everything else on auto and see if she boots from there...then start working your way down from the auto settings (auto settings always apply too much juice)
  13. okay I'll try that.
    Also when I run stress tests It freezes and goes grey in a matter of seconds. I've been boosting the vcore but I've never got it to work. I boosted the QPI to 1.425 and its still the same.
    Help there too?

    Sorry for all the problems :(
  14. maybe you just hit the limit of this cpu.

    What are the temps?
  15. low when on ~35-40C idle it crashes before i can see the load temp.
  16. Do you think its overheating, or its the literal limit.
  17. snowdude1492 said:
    low when on ~35-40C idle it crashes before i can see the load temp.


    well the crashing is from instability....

    so i would say this is the limit.
  18. why can other i7s do this at much lower vcores, and mine requires a much higher vcore and its not stable?
  19. Because of a bad batch.
  20. I have an ASUS P6T board with my i7 920. These are the settings for 3.6GHz

    1.30V CPU
    1.35V QPI
    1.92V PLL
    1.64V IMC
    RAM Timings: 7-7-7-24
    BCLK: 180
    Multi: X20
    Speedstep and turbo mode were turned off
    Everything else was on auto

    I stress tested for 22 hours using Prime 95 with small FFTs. I'm in a warm room now, so I need better cooling to be able to use HT/SMT without going over the max temp.
  21. snowdude1492 said:
    why can other i7s do this at much lower vcores, and mine requires a much higher vcore and its not stable?


    They just have a really good batch.
  22. For reference, Toms uses 1.45v to overclock intels, and has for a long time. So expecting a huge overclock at 1.3 is not very realistic. Plus, a lot of people claim huge overclocks on low voltages without ever really stress testing it with prime 95. Sure, they might boot at that, but it won't pass a 100% cpu stress test.
  23. I agree more juice is needed.
  24. belial2k said:
    For reference, Toms uses 1.45v to overclock intels, and has for a long time. So expecting a huge overclock at 1.3 is not very realistic. Plus, a lot of people claim huge overclocks on low voltages without ever really stress testing it with prime 95. Sure, they might boot at that, but it won't pass a 100% cpu stress test.


    for the vcore, or the QPI?
  25. Vcore right?
  26. yes, on the cpu. Of course they don't have time to sit down and tweak for days like an end user can, so they go with high number at the edge of the safe range to save time....this was all explained in the i5 article where all the foxconn sockets fried at that voltage.
  27. belial2k said:
    yes, on the cpu. Of course they don't have time to sit down and tweak for days like an end user can, so they go with high number at the edge of the safe range to save time....this was all explained in the i5 article where all the foxconn sockets fried at that voltage.


    On Intel i7(Bloomfield), the max CPU Voltage is 1.375V on the 45nm process. I wouldn't call 1.45V safe if Intel states 1.375V as the highest. Sure, it can run higher, but it's obviously not recommended. I can hit 3.6GHz stable for the 22hr stress test, as I have posted above with only 1.3V on the CPU, but 3.8 BSODs with even 1.325 and 1.35V doesn't help much either. I can run 3.7GHz @ 195 BCLK X 19. This was stable for the 17 hour test.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBCH
  28. Well not to mention that at 1.375 it will be getting damn hot. i would call 1.45v relatively safe, but i dont want to get into an arguement about this again.

    Read the data sheet on it and they say you can go up to 1.5 before you dramatically increase electron migration. But agan, i dont want to hijack this thread and get into this arguement again.
  29. As Overshocked says, I don't want to turn this into a "what is safe voltage" argument. I was simply pointing out his cpu voltage is considered fairly low in overclocking circles where 4.0ghz is the goal. I personally don't like to go over 1.4 for a 24/7 overclock as I stated in a previous post in this thread. That is because for the most parts it takes more and more voltage to get smaller and smaller gains past that point....But for the majority of OCers, 1.45v is still considered in the safe zone as long as you have good cooling and are running safe temps...Of course, intels specs are for the terrible stock cooler, which I would not recommending making any voltage increases on.
  30. Agreed, if you keep the temps in check, the voltage will matter less.
  31. Thanks all of you guys! I have succsesfuly pushed my i7 920 to 4.1Ghz stably @ 1.3875 vcore (my temps on full load are 69~71)! I really could not have done this without all of you.

    But I have one more question:

    When overshocked said:
    Read the data sheet on it and they say you can go up to 1.5 before you dramatically increase electron migration.

    Ummmm, whats that? (I'm planning on pushing higher when I get the money for a liquid cooling system)
  32. hey guys. sorry to hijack ur thread, but what is the intel specified vcore max for i5 750 (if the i7 920 is 1.375V)?
    and what is the default for OCing it?
  33. I heard its much lower for the i5, all of the i5 from toms burt out when they set the vcore to what the i7 oc's at. Just type it in on Google search (stupid answer but there are usually many answers)

    I forgive you for hijacking my thread :P
  34. micky_lund said:
    hey guys. sorry to hijack ur thread, but what is the intel specified vcore max for i5 750 (if the i7 920 is 1.375V)?
    and what is the default for OCing it?


    Ive heard 1.4v and 1.5v, havnt had the chance to read intels 80 page( [:thegreatgrapeape:5] ) document on the i5 yet, so i cant tel you exactly.
  35. snowdude1492 said:
    Thanks all of you guys! I have succsesfuly pushed my i7 920 to 4.1Ghz stably @ 1.3875 vcore (my temps on full load are 69~71)! I really could not have done this without all of you.

    But I have one more question:

    When overshocked said:
    Read the data sheet on it and they say you can go up to 1.5 before you dramatically increase electron migration.

    Ummmm, whats that? (I'm planning on pushing higher when I get the money for a liquid cooling system)


    Actually im sorry, i believe its 1.55v.

    It pretty much goes like this....

    intel puts on their specs for the cpu that it shouldnt exceed 1.375v. But if you read their long ass technical document they specifically say that at 1.55v you will greatly increase elecron migration.

    Moral of the story:

    You can go up to 1.375 without much risk of electron migration. if you go above 1.375 there is a signifigant increase in electron migration. If you go above 1.55 there is a GREAT increase in electron migration. [:lectrocrew:2]
  36. snowdude1492 said:
    all of the i5 from toms burt out when they set the vcore to what the i7 oc's at.

    That is from the sucky foxconn socket.
  37. srry again guys but I've been looking around and people require MUCH less vcores that I do on D0, and I have a D0 and its sucking up just as much volts as a C0/C1!

    Why is that?
  38. If you have speedstep and turbo on it will effect your results, many OCers turn these off.
    Every chip is different.
    Some people do not stress test at full load
    Some people are not honest
    Every board has a different vdroop
    Overall, your results fall in line with what I've see with most of my overclocks on the D stepping processors. Generally it takes me 1.38 1.4 to get a rock stable 4.0ghz.
  39. snowdude1492 said:
    srry again guys but I've been looking around and people require MUCH less vcores that I do on D0, and I have a D0 and its sucking up just as much volts as a C0/C1!

    Why is that?

    Well, every cpu is not the same.... you just dont have the magic batch like they do. Yours is actually pretty good.
  40. so....what is the default setting for the i5 750? is it like 1.300V? or will that do just to set a mark to OC from, or would 1.35V be better?
  41. I dont know what stock voltage is for it, but just set it somewhere low like 1.2 and start from there.
  42. kk...this site here (pg 67, table 7.4) that the max is indeed 1.55V for vcore. toms uses 1.208vcore for overclocking to start with, so ill probably do the same.

    however, it talks of VTT: what is this the voltage to? and y does toms overclock with this above 1.21 ( 1.308 to be exact ) sometimes, where the max is 1.21V? is this just to get the slight increase in stability at 4.3ghz, when it wouldn't work otherwise?

    and what do u think is the PCH they talk about? do u think that 1.85V should do it, like the use for the test for 3.8ghz?

    sorry to hijack, but creating my own thread normally ends up completely empty
    thanks for any help
    MICK
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Intel i7 Overclocking