Memory issues need some help

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Hi all,

Ok here is,

A few days ago I swapped my P-35 Gigabyte MB + C2D 6850 to my wife and got myself a P-45 + Q9450 for me. I never had issues with my memory with the P35 but now it can't run Mem Test for more than a few seconds before showing errors. I have 4 x 2 Gig of ram. G. Skill DDR2-1000. In the BIOS, I have set the speed to DDR2-1000 and I have adjusted the timing manually at 5-5-5-15 and upped the voltage to the required 2.1V. When I first installed the memory modules in my system I ran Mem test for about 5-6 hours without any problems. What made me think that I had a problem is that when I was away from my PC, it rebooted itself and was showing me the booting screen saying that my over clock had failed which obviously wasn't the case since I had no active over clock .... I also tried to up the NB voltage by +0.1 and +0.2 but to no avail. Is there any setup that I should try before testing the memory stick one by one which I'll do if I have no other choice but its a tedious process and might not be necessary.

Thanks for you help

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Some updates here.

After testing all memory stick on an individual basis, they all passed Mem Test. What else, each time I would reboot my PC, the loading screen would stop and this message would be displayed : Over clockfailed, press F1 to enter bios setting or F2 to load default values. I would than go into bios change nothing and save and exit then into Mem Test. 2 Sticks of memory will produce an error almost instantaneously.

I tried other sticks of memory, basic Kingston value Ram DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 at 1.8V. Once installed, all the Bios settings were left to auto but the speed which is set a 800. This seems to work great, no message about failing over clock and no errors in Mem Test with 2 sticks of memory.

Another thing I have noticed, I tried to adjust the RAM timing manually 5-5-5-18 this cause booting message of an over clock failure. In auto mode the system set the timing at 5-5-5-15 which is pretty darn near the manufacturer specs. but it seems my system doesn't like it. I am currently testing my G. Skill into another system and they seem to run fine.....

Honestly this is a bit perplexing. I am still not sure if my MB has some kind of trouble or it's just very memory picky .........