Are you addicted to airflow management and overclocking?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I just started to play with the air inside my computer. It has never been an issue or concern to me because in the past all of my video cards were low grade. I would purchase the discount cards that were already crappy for todays gaming standard. Example: I purchased an Nvidia 9500GT a year ago for gaming. It was already outdated, but it was cheap.

Anyways, ever since this new video card HD 4870 1gig, I've been messing with the air a lot more and it hit me. I'm interested, or maybe even addicted to trying to keep my computer warm. I caught myself sitting infront of my computer watching Riva Tuner and Speedfan waiting for the temperature to drop after I adjusted the fans inthe case just a few inches.

Anyone else do this? Do you play with the fan setups in your computer just to try to get your computer 1c cooler? Do you ever open the window at night and freeze your ass off just to drop the temp another 2celsius?

I stopped playing with air on my main gaming rigs. Now I run on water :p

I'm interested, or maybe even addicted to trying to keep my computer warm.
What the hell is wrong with you !?!? :lol: I try to keep my PCs cool.

At any rate, I am one of those who lapp,etc just to gain that 1-2C drop, and trade in stock fans for some insane Deltas or Slipstream or Ultra Kaze fans.

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
For the summer I'd like to keep my PC as cool as possible, but when winter hits, I try my best to get it as warm as possible... only due to the reason my PC and laptop are the only thing that warms up my room anyways lol.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I thought about setting my computer up in my backyard last night because it was a pretty cold night. Was thinking about how much the temperature would drop.

I'm currently thinking about a way to get 2 giant industrial type fans to blow through my computer. Of course I need some sort of air filter on the side before this would work. Maybe even some way to fasten the cables more securely since industrial sized fans can blow a child away if you're not careful.

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Lets see, I trimmed a hole in the front of my case, cut two holes in the side panel and went and got 4 fans to put in it other than the cpu cooler. I also took my 9800 GTX+ video card apart and trimmed away part of the plastic cover over the heatsink. Then put new thermal paste on the gpu and ram. Then dedicated an intake and exhaust fan just to my video card.

At the moment I am considering modifying an air purifier to blow clean dry air into my computer through a duct system.

I have also been pondering some kind of air conditioner or swamp cooler type device to cool the air.

And the sad thing is my computer really didn't run all that hot to begin with lol.

Paul

endorphines

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I have an HTPC with 5 1.5tb hard drives in raid 5 and 2 500s, an overclocked 4870 and an even more overclocked q9400 both being liquid cooled in the same loop, all in and Antec Fusion meant to hold 3 drives, . My entire system is cooled by only 3 fans (including my power supply's fan), all 120mm.
the 2 fans (antec 3 speed fans all set on their lowest speed ) that are on my rad cool everything but 2 of the hard drives and my power supply, by pulling air in through vents directed at only areas that need air. to begin with 2 of my drives hit 70 C. so yes i'm addicted to airflow management. it's whisper quiet now and everything runs cool with everything cranking full blast. i have 5 virtual machines running, and i can play any game i own (cysis, dirt, mirrors edge) and my processor will touch 55C on the warmest core, my 4870 40C, and my warmest drive says 35 in my raid card's utility. it took 2 months of blocking vents that were delivering air where it wasn't needed, and moving cables and tubing to allow air to some of the more cramped spaces.
it was a great project... and now i'm gonna throw another wrench in the works with 2 more drives because anything that ain't broke is worth breaking just to fix it again. :-D

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Is your GTX 275 over clocked? My HD 4870(I just sent back to retailer today) wasn't overclocked and it hit 98celsius under load. *** scared the hell outta me.