Opinions on new 1 TB HDD purchase

RoadbusterHDD

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hello,

I am going to buy an additional HDD to store more data due to my current system raid drives nearing capacity. I had narrowed it down to a Western Digital WD10000LSRTL/WD1001FALS for ~$99.

Then today I saw that Hitachi has a HD3100 (HDS721010CLA332) I can purchase locally for $69 on sale.

The drive will be added to the existing system. Is the Hitachi drive on par with the Western Digital? Is it worth saving the 30 dollars, or is the Western Digital a more solid option?

Thanks for the help.

RoadbusterHDD

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
To clarify I currently have two Western Digital WD1500ADFD in raid 0. I was just planning on adding the other drive on a separate controller/channel.

I'm just wondering if Hitachi have a bad rep or anything.

I'm still leaning towards the WD 1 TB drive, I just want to make sure I'm not passing on a viable alternative simply because I'm not as familiar with the brand.

In general, I don't think they Hitachi has a bad rep. I did have a Hitachi that decided to die after about 3 months...

I tend to use WD drives myself because I have been satisfied WD HDDs reliability in general. Only had one drive that gave me problems; a 160GB effectively became a 140GB after a series of bad sectors.