Sign in with
Your question

A few questions for all you network gurus out ther

Last response: in Networking
April 1, 2004 6:35:30 AM

Guys I seriously need some help with these questions, I hope you gurus can help me:

1) In 3 or 4 sentences, Please explain, in lay terms (very very simple terms), what a TCP\UDP “port” is.

2) In 3 or 4 sentences, Please explain, in lay terms (very very simple terms), how dynamic addressing on a TCP\IP network works.

3) In 3 or 4 sentences, If you wanted to test a computer’s ability to send and receive packets across a network, what would you do?

4) In 3 or 4 sentences, Please explain, to the best of your ability in lay terms (very very simple terms), the following printout:
Tracing route to www.google.akadns.net [66.102.7.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms wah2-gw-43.usc.edu [128.125.31.252]

2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms lax-dc1--losnettos-dc.cenic.net [137.164.23.225]

3 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms dc-slo-dc2--lax-dc1-pos.cenic.net [137.164.22.25]

4 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms dc-sol-dc2--slo-dc1-pos.cenic.net [137.164.22.27]

5 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms dc-svl-dc1--sol-dc1-pos.cenic.net [137.164.22.29]

6 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 216.239.48.9

7 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 216.239.48.246

8 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 64.233.174.57

9 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 216.239.49.150

10 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 66.102.7.104

Trace complete.

---------------------------------------------------------

Extra: Please use up to 100 words to answer this question. You may disregard the 3 to 4 sentence limit.
A resident is unable to connect to ResNet (a network in my university). On March 21st, you check the history of activity on the resident’s jack and find the following to be the most recent entry:

03/21/04 19:44:00: Disabled since 0:1b:6:a4:38:7e is not registered

What would you do?

---------------------------------------------------

I would appreciate if you guys could answer as many as you can, and please answer if you are absolutely sure about your answer. If someone could also answer the extra, i would love him forever.

one love

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: 
April 1, 2004 7:05:07 AM

1:
picture a peg board. the only way to get to a computer is through one of the holes. each peg hole is a port. while one port is being used aka has a peg stuck in it nothing else can use the port. there are exceptions but this is the gist of it.

2:
dynamic addressing or dhcp is just automatic addressing controled by a dhcp server. all a dhcp server does is keep track of a bunch of ip addresses that you are allocated to use by "the man" in the case of 192.168.x.x and 10.10.x.x addresses, they cant be used outside a private network. anyway, besides keeping track of the addresses a dhcp server will give an address to any computer asking for one. along with an ip address it can also give dns server ips, time servers, lots of things.

3:
ping is the most standard tool for testing basic connectivity. more advanced ways would simply be trying to access a server on one of the computers. such as an ftp server or just mapping to a network share.

4:
very very simple terms, each line or "hop" is an road intersection. to get to www.google.akadns.net you have to first go through this intersection: 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms wah2-gw-43.usc.edu [128.125.31.252] this router "aka intersection" gives you the next intersection you need to get to to get to the destination. the routers know how to get to networks they are connected to directly or indirectly, if they dont know they ask another router. eventually you will get where your trying to go. but thats more complicated than you want to know.

im not going to do the extra credit for you but it just means the network cards mac address has not been authorised to access the network. if you dont know how to answer it from there you need to pay more attention in class. same for the first 4 questions. if you dont know those your not going to get very far learning computers, your just going to get more and more confused.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
April 1, 2004 10:20:27 AM

1. A mapping to a memory address of which there are
2^16 or 65536 ports.

2. A host on a Local segment asks for an address and is given one from a range of preconfigured addresses that the DHCP server knows are free.

3. Use the ping command. Ping either a specific host (e.g. the gateway) or the whole network.

4. The output is a representation of what routers the packet has to go through to reach the destination and the time it takes to get there.

Extra: MAC filtering is set up and the hosts MAC is not authorized to connect. Add the MAC to the list of permitted hosts or turn off MAC filtering.

Did I pass??? :) 

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024
Related resources
April 1, 2004 4:42:38 PM

Thanks Jihiggs and Dev for your answers. You both seem to agree each other and other sources of information I have so I believe the answers are all correct. Jihiggs: actually im not in a computing class, this is part of an application for a housing technology program offered in my university. They dont expect us to know the answer and they allow us to turn to other people for information. Just one question, about question 1 about TCP/UDP, are they just the ports that programs like kazaa or a messanger program use? or even games such as counterstrike?

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: 
April 2, 2004 3:20:07 AM

any data transmission out of the computer via a network card has to use at least one port.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
!